Connect with us

2019 F1

Sainz lost Red Bull race seat in 2017 F1

Published

on

Carlos Sainz says he lost his chance to race for Red Bull at the end of 2017.

Last year, when Red Bull needed a replacement for the Renault-bound Daniel Ricciardo, Spaniard Sainz was a contender but ultimately Pierre Gasly got the call.

“It could have gone either way, me or Gasly,” Sainz told AS newspaper in Melbourne.

“But I know that when I left Toro Rosso to go to Renault I really lost my ticket to go to Red Bull,” he said.

“And I did it consciously and I still believe that it was a good decision for my future.”

Sainz is now at McLaren, where he says his new two-year McLaren deal gives him “tranquillity”.

“As you can see, I am calmer and happier than ever.

“I look at my experience with Red Bull only as positive because without them I would not have been in F1.

“Yes there were times when I would have liked more independence to make my own decisions, but deep down I must be very grateful.”

However, he thinks he is in the right place at McLaren.

“Right now, if you’re not in Red Bull, Ferrari or Mercedes, I think the best place to be is still McLaren. I prefer to be here with a two-year contract and I would not change my seat for anything,” said Sainz.

Loading...

Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F13 weeks ago

Vettel ‘has no future at Ferrari anymore’ – Red Bull boss

Sebastian Vettel has “no future at Ferrari”, according to his former boss Dr Helmut Marko. Despite having arguably the fastest...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Leclerc girlfriend reveals Ferrari’s F1 star ended relationship with her

Charles Leclerc’s former girlfriend has revealed that the Ferrari driver “left me” in order to focus on his Formula 1...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Hamilton seizing advantage of Vettel DNF to seal Russian GP

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton took the advantages with the Russian Grand Prix victory after race leader Sebastian Vettel’s retirement. During...

2019 F13 weeks ago

McLaren split with Renault for Mercedes in 2021 F1

McLaren split with engine supplier Renault over a disagreement about Formula 1 strategy, according to Cyril Abiteboul. “It was apparent...

2019 F13 weeks ago

The manager says secrecy around Schumacher’s health is “difficult” to understand

News of the Seven time F1 world champion, Michael Schumacher being “out of a coma” went viral on June 2014,...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Mercedes no favourite at remaining races in 2019 – Hamilton

Mercedes will no longer be the favourite at any of the remaining races in 2019, according to Lewis Hamilton. Despite...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Renault F1 criticises FIA over penalty

Cyril Abiteboul has accused the FIA of being inconsistent about how it hands out penalties for sporting and technical infractions....

2019 F13 weeks ago

Ferrari ‘hungrier than Mercedes’ – Hamilton

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton criticised Mercedes after the Singapore GP. The Briton was not even on the podium on Sunday,...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Hamilton warns he could lose 2019 F1 title

Lewis Hamilton has warned Mercedes that he risks not winning the 2019 world championship. The Briton’s championship lead is actually...

2019 F11 month ago

Charles Leclerc is Ferrari’s “No: 1 driver” – JJ Lehto

Charles Leclerc is now Ferrari’s “number 1 driver”. That is the view of JJ Lehto, who was once the supporting...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media