Connect with us

2019 F1

Alonso is de-facto reserve driver – Brown

Published

on

  • 1
    Share

Fernando Alonso might be regarded as a de-facto “reserve driver” at McLaren this year.

That is the news from team boss Zak Brown, even though earlier speculation that the newly-retired Alonso might drive the 2019 car in winter testing was wide of the mark.

“Fernando is still part of the team with our Indy 500 project,” Brown insisted to Europa Press at the launch of McLaren’s new orange and blue car.

“I think it’s likely that we will not announce a reserve driver, but I think there are drivers who, if we need someone at short notice, could play that role.”

It is believed Brown was not referring to official test driver Sergio Sette Camara, who is linked to McLaren sponsor Petrobras. The F2 driver does not have a super license.

Sette Camara confirmed that he will focus on Formula 2 this year.

“For me, this is my most important programme,” he told Brazil’s Globo. “In my opinion, it is this (F2) that will dictate my future, not so much my work as test driver.”

Boss Brown said the newly launched 2019 car is the start of McLaren’s return after years of disappointing results.

“We are rebuilding and it will take time,” he is quoted by AS newspaper.

“Andreas Seidl is joining the project (on May 1) at the front of the team, and James Key will be our technical director,” Brown added.

Loading...
Comments

Latest Results

Latest F1 News

2019 F17 mins ago

Hamilton defends ‘taking time’ with Lauda comments

1ShareLewis Hamilton has defended his silence until now about the death of Niki Lauda. Lauda, the F1 legend and Mercedes...

2019 F132 mins ago

Raikkonen not ruling out F1 2021 contract

1ShareKimi Raikkonen says it is possible he will keep racing beyond the end of his current contract. Having debuted in...

2019 F137 mins ago

Magnussen will quit F1 if title hopes fade

1ShareKevin Magnussen says he doesn’t want to be “best of the rest” for his entire Formula 1 career. “I will...

2019 F140 mins ago

Ferrari taking ‘extra risks’ to catch up – Binotto

1ShareMattia Binotto has denied that Sebastian Vettel got preferential treatment that resulted in Charles Leclerc being stranded near the back...

2019 F11 hour ago

Ferrari denies need to scrap front wing concept

1ShareMattia Binotto has played down suggestions Ferrari needs to scrap its front wing design. Early in 2019, the Italian team...

2019 F12 hours ago

F1 scraps plans for standard gearbox design

1SharePlans to standardise gearbox design in 2021 have been scrapped. Earlier, tenders were issued by the FIA not only for...

2019 F13 hours ago

I need explanations, Leclerc furious after Ferrari mistake

1ShareFerrari team principal Mattia Binotto already admits that, it was an ‘error of judgement’ that saw Charles Leclerc‘s terrible knockout...

2019 F14 hours ago

Binotto admits Alfa Romeo designer could return to Ferrari

1ShareFerrari could recall its former chief designer from Alfa Romeo. Mid last year, it emerged that Simone Resta would move...

2019 F14 hours ago

Villeneuve comments ‘irritating’ – Williams

1ShareClaire Williams has admitted comments made recently by the team’s last world champion Jacques Villeneuve were “irritating”. Under her leadership,...

2019 F15 hours ago

This one’s for Niki – Hamilton

1Share2019 Monaco Grand Prix pole marked 85th of the Lewis Hamilton and second of the season. The Brit was rapid...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media