Connect with us

2019 F1

Hartley says F1 exit rumours started at Monaco

Published

on

Brendon Hartley says it was clear as far back as last year’s Monaco grand prix that Red Bull would oust him.

The New Zealander was a surprise draft into the junior team Toro Rosso’s lineup following the ousting in late 2017 of Daniil Kvyat.

But Kvyat is back for 2019, and the Russian’s teammate will be rookie Alexander Albon.

Hartley’s departure wasn’t announced until the season finale in Abu Dhabi, but the 29-year-old said he started to hear rumours around the time of May’s Monaco GP.

“When I look back now, what I will remember most is walking down to the paddock to meet with the media on the Wednesday and receiving a bunch of questions about my future,” he told media platform The Players’ Tribune.

“Here I am, a handful of races into my F1 career, and I’m being asked about the end.”

Hartley said he soon discovered there was “some truth” to the rumours, which ultimately led to him losing his seat for 2019.

“After a few races, there were some people, it appeared, who didn’t want me there,” he said. “I’ll be honest, this was a bit of a shock.

“That’s life in F1, though. The sport has so much money and so many people involved, it’s only natural that there are politics.”

The Le Mans winner and WEC champion admits he will “miss” F1 this year, but he also said he is “excited” about his next steps.

“As I write this I am working to put all the pieces into place for 2019 and beyond. I’m fortunate to have a few options in front of me, but I need make sure it’s a fit,” Hartley added.

Loading...
Comments

Latest Results

Latest F1 News

2019 F121 hours ago

Vettel plays down F1 quit talk

Sebastian Vettel has once again played down suggestions he is contemplating retirement. With Ferrari struggling against Mercedes, Charles Leclerc pushing...

2019 F122 hours ago

No hope’ for Hamilton’s rivals

Lewis Hamilton is inching “closer and closer” to becoming a six-time world champion. That is the view of Emerson Fittipaldi,...

2019 F122 hours ago

Hamilton not sure Wolff should be F1 CEO

Lewis Hamilton says he is not so sure Toto Wolff should be F1’s CEO. It is believed that Liberty Media...

2019 F123 hours ago

F1 2021 in Rio “99% sure”

F1’s move from Sao Paulo to Rio de Janeiro has taken yet another step forward. On Monday, controversial Brazilian president...

2019 F12 days ago

Wolff doesn’t want son to be racing driver

Toto Wolff says he would prefer if his son says no to a future in Formula 1. Two years ago,...

2019 F12 days ago

Verstappen asking Honda for more power

Max Verstappen has called on Honda to keep on bringing more powerful engines to the grand prix circuits. Red Bull’s...

2019 F12 days ago

Haas may need to focus on 2020 car – Steiner

Gunther Steiner says Haas will need to switch its full focus to designing a new car for 2020 if it...

2019 F12 days ago

‘A faster man won’ – Bottas

Lewis Hamilton on Sunday said it is not his fault if this year’s world championship is boring. At Paul Ricard,...

2019 F12 days ago

Michael Schumacher is still very private – Todt

Jean Todt insists the health condition of F1 legend Michael Schumacher is still “very private”. Schumacher, now 50, has not...

2019 F15 days ago

Bottas has no doubt he can beat Hamilton

Valtteri Bottas says he has “no doubt” he can still challenge Lewis Hamilton for the 2019 title. Hamilton, who leads...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media