Connect with us

2020 F1

Mercedes denies 2020 F1 race seat guaranteed for Ocon

Published

on

  • 1
    Share

Toto Wolff has slammed suggestions he has already guaranteed Esteban Ocon the race seat at Mercedes for 2020.

Furious about Ocon’s clash with Max Verstappen in Brazil a fortnight ago, Red Bull official Dr Helmut Marko said the Dutchman had been taken out by “a driver who already has a Mercedes deal for 2020”.

“It’s a waste of time to comment even for one second on what Dr Marko says,” Mercedes team boss Wolff told the Finnish newspaper C More.

Finn Valtteri Bottas currently drives for Mercedes, so when asked if there is any truth whatsoever to Marko’s claim, Wolff insisted: “No, it’s not true.”

Wolff announced in Abu Dhabi that Frenchman Ocon will be Mercedes’ reserve driver in 2019.

That is because with Lance Stroll taking his seat at Force India, the last available cockpit for 2019, at Williams, has now been filled by Robert Kubica.

“We knew that Williams had financial problems and that they had to find a certain budget,” Ocon told France’s L’Equipe.

“But it’s not the end of the world. I will still be always in the paddock, still working in formula one, with my goal to return in 2020,” he added.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2019 F12 days ago

Ferrari F1 launch the SF90 for 2019 F1 season

1ShareThe championship bidder Ferrari unveiled their 2019 F1 car, the SF90. In a launch event at the Ferrari HQ, the...

2019 F12 days ago

Formula E boss not ruling out F1 merger

1ShareAlejandro Agag, the boss of Formula E, is not ruling out a “long term” merger with formula one. Once dismissed...

2019 F12 days ago

F1 will not scrap Friday practice

1ShareF1 is not about to scrap Friday practice. That is the claim of Francois Dumontier, boss of the Canadian grand...

2019 F12 days ago

Alonso is de-facto reserve driver – Brown

1ShareFernando Alonso might be regarded as a de-facto “reserve driver” at McLaren this year. That is the news from team...

2019 F12 days ago

Stroll aims to avoid war of words with Williams

1ShareLance Stroll has hit back after his former boss accused him recently of arriving in F1 “too early”. Stroll, now...

2019 F12 days ago

Lack of partner team no problem for Renault – Prost

1ShareAlain Prost says Renault is not missing out by not having a ‘junior’ partner team. Red Bull and Toro Rosso...

2019 F12 days ago

New Alfa Romeo has revolutionary front wing

1ShareSauber’s Alfa Romeo-branded new car for 2019 turned heads when it hit the Fiorano circuit for a shakedown on Thursday....

2019 F13 days ago

Kimi Raikkonen debuts 2019 Alfa Romeo Racing F1 car

1ShareAlfa Romeo Racing’s 2019 F1 car hits the track for the first time at Italy. These first images from Fiorano...

2019 F13 days ago

McLaren launches its 2019 F1 car MCL34

1ShareMcLaren has launched its 2019 F1 car, the Renault-powered MCL34, at a launch event in team factory base at Woking....

2019 F13 days ago

He does not fear Daniel Ricciardo – Hulkenberg

1ShareNico Hulkenberg says he does not fear Daniel Ricciardo. The pair’s Renault boss, Cyril Abiteboul, says 31-year-old Hulkenberg is “enormously...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media