Connect with us

F1 top news

F1 without Fernando is like football without Cristiano Ronaldo

Published

on

Fernando Alonso’s managers say it is possible the Spaniard will return to formula one in 2020.

Disenchanted with the category, Abu Dhabi is the 37-year-old’s last grand prix for now, as Alonso will focus on the Indy 500, Le Mans and some other “iconic” races in 2019.

“Maybe next year by April or May I will be on the sofa and desperate to find a way to come back. But it’s not the initial idea,” he said on Thursday.

Alonso’s manager Luis Garcia Abad agrees that the double world champion is not “retiring”.

“In terms of Fernando’s relationship with formula one, it’s ‘see you later’ rather than goodbye,” he is quoted by Marca.

“It’s the end of something but you can never say never,” Garcia Abad added.

Also commenting on Alonso’s ‘open door’ approach to his F1 exit is Flavio Briatore, who still oversees the management of the McLaren driver’s career.

“He could go back in the future,” the former Renault boss told El Mundo newspaper.

“Nobody has said that this is a goodbye. Provided he has a car with guarantees, he can return and be competitive,” Briatore said.

“What is clear is that he could not continue like this, arriving at races without a chance. It is nonsense,” he charged.

The flamboyant Italian said that for 2019 at least, F1 is losing a great.

“Some of the others are children who if they didn’t wear the team’s overalls in the paddock, nobody would know who they are,” said Briatore.

“Formula one without Fernando is like football without Cristiano Ronaldo.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F18 mins ago

Verstappen happy with Ricciardo replacement

Max Verstappen says he is happy with Red Bull’s pick for his new teammate. The Dutchman says he cannot understand...

2018 F129 mins ago

Renault to keep working over Christmas

Staff at Renault’s works F1 team will work throughout the Christmas and New Year period. That is the news from...

2018 F123 hours ago

Force India to launch 2019 car in Canada

Force India has become the second F1 team to announce a reveal date for its 2019 car. Ferrari boss Maurizio...

2018 F123 hours ago

“it was a difficult experience, but it made me stronger,”- Sirotkin

Sergey Sirotkin says his aim is to return to formula one in 2020. The Russian has been replaced at Williams...

2018 F123 hours ago

McLaren success is ‘long term’ aim – Sainz

Carlos Sainz says McLaren is aiming for success only in the medium to long term. The Spaniard says he is...

2018 F124 hours ago

Silverstone proposes new F1 deal for 2020

Silverstone has stepped up its bid to remain on the F1 calendar. Last year, amid growing losses, the circuit-owning British...

2018 F12 days ago

Berger tips Mick Schumacher for Ferrari seat

F1 legend Gerhard Berger thinks Michael Schumacher’s son is on the road to a career at Ferrari. Currently, rumours are...

2018 F12 days ago

Vettel no fan of electric cars

Sebastian Vettel says he is no fan of the trend towards electrically powered cars. The new Formula E season has...

2018 F12 days ago

Canada GP not in danger – promoter

The future of the Canadian grand prix is not in danger. That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois...

2018 F12 days ago

Team incidents hurt Ferrari in 2018 – boss

Maurizio Arrivabene thinks a series of incidents hurt Ferrari’s charge for the 2018 title. Some think the biggest problem with...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media