Connect with us

F1 top news

Bottas ‘not worried’ about 2020 seat

Published

on

Valtteri Bottas says he is not worried he could lose his seat after 2019.

The Finn is all signed up for next year, but Mercedes could be holding the seat open for Force India refugee Esteban Ocon for 2020.

Ocon, the top Mercedes junior who looks set to be a ‘super reserve’ for all the Mercedes-powered teams next year, insists he has been given “no assurances” for 2020.

But Bottas at least admitted he has to up his game, calling 2018 with Mercedes “my worst formula one season”.

“For sure the first season with Williams was difficult, but you can’t compare that to now,” he said.

“2017 felt different to this. I was the new guy and still I remember how disappointed I felt here a year ago,” Bottas said in Abu Dhabi.

“Looking back now, I realise I did win a few races. So I’m even more disappointed now,” he added.

At the same time, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff sounds bullish about Ocon’s future, which would seem to suggest that the seat for 2020 is up for grabs.

Asked if he is worried, Bottas said: “No. In formula one there is all sorts of talk, and it’s only natural that every driver wants to use every opportunity.

“But it’s not my job to worry about that. I have an excellent relationship with everyone on the team, including Toto. We hide nothing from one another.

“If next year I achieve my goals and the goals of the team, then everything will be fine. If not, the team will rightly decide that I am not performing well enough.

“That’s the way it should be in sports,” said Bottas.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F13 mins ago

Renault to keep working over Christmas

Staff at Renault’s works F1 team will work throughout the Christmas and New Year period. That is the news from...

2018 F122 hours ago

Force India to launch 2019 car in Canada

Force India has become the second F1 team to announce a reveal date for its 2019 car. Ferrari boss Maurizio...

2018 F123 hours ago

“it was a difficult experience, but it made me stronger,”- Sirotkin

Sergey Sirotkin says his aim is to return to formula one in 2020. The Russian has been replaced at Williams...

2018 F123 hours ago

McLaren success is ‘long term’ aim – Sainz

Carlos Sainz says McLaren is aiming for success only in the medium to long term. The Spaniard says he is...

2018 F123 hours ago

Silverstone proposes new F1 deal for 2020

Silverstone has stepped up its bid to remain on the F1 calendar. Last year, amid growing losses, the circuit-owning British...

2018 F12 days ago

Berger tips Mick Schumacher for Ferrari seat

F1 legend Gerhard Berger thinks Michael Schumacher’s son is on the road to a career at Ferrari. Currently, rumours are...

2018 F12 days ago

Vettel no fan of electric cars

Sebastian Vettel says he is no fan of the trend towards electrically powered cars. The new Formula E season has...

2018 F12 days ago

Canada GP not in danger – promoter

The future of the Canadian grand prix is not in danger. That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois...

2018 F12 days ago

Team incidents hurt Ferrari in 2018 – boss

Maurizio Arrivabene thinks a series of incidents hurt Ferrari’s charge for the 2018 title. Some think the biggest problem with...

2018 F15 days ago

Ferrari to reveal 2019 car on February 15

Ferrari will reveal its 2019 challenger on February 15, team boss Maurizio Arrivabene said on Thursday. The Italian attended an...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media