Connect with us

2018 F1

Buemi on pole for Toro Rosso return

Published

on

  • 1
    Share

Sebastien Buemi has moved into pole position for a return to formula one next year.

The now 29-year-old Swiss contested over 50 races for Toro Rosso until 2011, going on to become a top sports car and Formula E driver.

But now with Pierre Gasly moving to Red Bull Racing, and Brendon Hartley having underperformed this season, Buemi is very much back in the running.

He had a seat fitting at Toro Rosso’s Faenza base late last week.

However, team boss Franz Tost told Blick newspaper: “It is not planned that Sebastien will be used by us this year.”

But he also admitted that Buemi is “not commenting right now”.

Dr Helmut Marko, the boss of Red Bull’s F1 programme, admitted that he will meet with Buemi in Singapore this weekend.

“I know that we have recently renewed the contract with Buemi as a simulator driver for another year. In Singapore we also have a meeting with him.

“But on Saturday he has to go back to a Formula E test,” Marko said.

One theory is that the Buemi rumours will pressure the struggling Hartley to either up his game or crumble out of F1 completely.

“All speculation,” Marko insists. “It’s a lot of excitement about nothing.

“Buemi has certainly been a topic, but his contracts with other series and Toyota were unfortunately always in the way of a comeback,” he added.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F120 hours ago

Brazil ramps up efforts to keep grand prix

1ShareOrganisers of the Brazilian grand prix have ramped up efforts to keep Interlagos on the F1 calendar. The contract expires...

2018 F120 hours ago

Marchionne death hurt Ferrari morale – Tronchetti Provera

1ShareFerrari is “very close” to its goal of bringing the title back to Maranello after more than a decade. That...

2018 F120 hours ago

Verstappen would ‘kick psychologist out’

1ShareMax Verstappen says he regrets nothing about shoving Esteban Ocon after Sunday’s Brazilian grand prix. The Dutchman will do two...

2018 F12 days ago

Miami GP plans still not dead – Carey

1ShareChase Carey insists that plans for a grand prix in Miami have not been scrapped. In late September, the Miami...

2018 F12 days ago

‘Only goal’ is sports car title – Alonso

1ShareFernando Alonso says his “only goal” for now is winning the world endurance championship. The Spaniard is retiring from F1...

2018 F12 days ago

Vettel not worried about incoming Leclerc

1ShareSebastian Vettel says he is not worried about the ambitions of his new Ferrari teammate for 2019. German Vettel has...

2018 F12 days ago

Lauda to bring doctor to Abu Dhabi comeback – Marko

1ShareNiki Lauda really is determined to return to the F1 paddock next weekend, according to his friend Dr Helmut Marko....

2018 F12 days ago

Wolff vows to support Vandoorne’s career

1ShareToto Wolff thinks dumped McLaren driver Stoffel Vandoorne can still have a bright future. The Mercedes boss says he is...

2018 F12 days ago

Red Bull says Ocon ‘lucky to escape with a shove’

1ShareMax Verstappen has found support from within his team for his behaviour after the Brazilian grand prix. The Dutchman was...

2018 F12 days ago

Wolff denies Mercedes struggling amid wheel controversy

1ShareToto Wolff has denied that Mercedes is struggling amid the controversy about its wheel rim design. The F1 world was...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media