Connect with us

2018 F1

Eric Boullier resigns as McLaren race director ahead of British GP

Published

on

  • 80
    Shares

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier has resigned from the British F1 team, the charge ended on Wednesday as he resigned with immediate effect just ahead of the British Grand Prix weekend.

Boullier joined McLaren in 2014 from Lotus F1, appointed by Ron Dennis in a renovation of the team’s structure. But, since then the team has gone through the most unsuccessful period in its 52-year history. McLaren have won eight constructors’ titles and 12 drivers’, the last by Lewis Hamilton in 2008. They have taken 182 victories since Bruce McLaren drove in their first grand prix at Monaco in 1966 but have not won now since Jenson Button took the flag in Brazil in 2012. Worse still during Boullier’s occupation they have only two podiums, both at Australia in the first meeting of 2014.

Boullier admits that his time with the team was up. “I am very proud to have worked with such a brilliant team over the past four years,” he said. “But I recognise now is the right time for me to step down.”

The chief operating officer Simon Roberts has been made head of production, engineering and logistics and the new performance director Andrea Stella, who joined the team with Alonso from Ferrari, is now answerable for trackside operations.

The teams CEO Zak Brown said the reforms were unavoidable. “The causes are systemic and structural, which require major change from within,” he said. “With today’s announcement, we start to address those issues head on and take the first step on our road to recovery.”

Brown, whose background is in marketing, insisted the changes were not an unthinking reaction, although the suddenness of the announcement suggested otherwise, but admitted the team had to adapt. “We are too slow to react,” he said. “We need to simplify things within the organisation. We need to operate like a race team, a much faster organisation, we are a bit too slow, we are bit too clunky.”

He warned, however, against any hope of short-term improvement. “We are frustrated, massively frustrated,” he added. “I wish we could fix this over-night, but it is going to take some time. We are not quitting, we are not quitters and our shareholders are fully behind us. But I wouldn’t expect any miracles at Silverstone.”

Loading...

Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F11 month ago

Hamilton and Mercedes clearly coming under pressure – J Verstappen

80SharesMax Verstappen’s father thinks the on-form Red Bull driver has rattled reigning five time world champion and 2019 championship leader...

2019 F11 month ago

20hp engine boost for Ferrari after summer break

80SharesToto Wolff is forecasting a “very strong” performance by Ferrari after the summer break. Marca sports newspaper reports that the...

2019 F11 month ago

I’m not ready for Formula E – Hulkenberg

80SharesNico Hulkenberg says he is “not ready” to contemplate a switch to Formula E. It is strongly rumoured that if...

2019 F11 month ago

BREAKING: Albon to replace Gasly from Belgian GP

80SharesToro Rosso’s speedy Alexander Albon will replace Pierre Gasly at Red Bull from the next race in Belgium, the F1...

2019 F11 month ago

Alonso says it is not true liking Vettel

80SharesFernando Alonso says it is not true that he doesn’t like Sebastian Vettel. In Hungary, amid rumours the retired double...

2019 F11 month ago

F1 teams balk at expensive new regulations

80SharesF1 teams are pushing back on proposed new regulations — for reasons of cost. One idea that could be scrapped...

2019 F11 month ago

McLaren targets Sainz to beat Gasly in 2019

80SharesMcLaren is targeting a coveted sixth place in the 2019 drivers’ world championship with Carlos Sainz. With Mercedes, Ferrari and...

2019 F12 months ago

F1 broadcaster fails to show Sainz in Hungary

80SharesCarlos Sainz was “the invisible man” during the recent Hungarian GP. In fact, well-known Spanish journalist Antonio Lobato claims that...

2019 F12 months ago

Marko confirms Verstappen staying at Red Bull-Honda for F1 2020

80SharesRed Bull motorsport head Dr Helmut Marko has confirmed that Max Verstappen is definitely staying at Red Bull-Honda in 2020....

2019 F12 months ago

Me and Russel are eating two different dishes – Kubica

80SharesRobert Kubica is yet to benefit from what seems to have been a clear step forward for Williams and George...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media