Connect with us

2018 F1

McLaren confirm Ricciardo on radar, Alonso undecided his F1 future

Published

on

  • 3
    Shares

McLaren confirmed their attention in a deal with Daniel Ricciardo for the 2019 F1 season but Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner is very optimistic, and expressing the Australian re-signs with the Austrian owned team.

Recent reports suggested the McLaren team were keen on hiring the Red Bull driver, who will be out of contract with his current employers at the end of the 2018 campaign. He is yet to make a decision on his next goal, but reports suggested McLaren had made a $20m-a-year offer.

McLaren director Eric Boullier confirmed during the team bosses press conference Thursday they are interested in signing Ricciardo, but admitted there was nothing concrete on the table at the moment.

“We love Daniel,” Boullier said at the French GP, as quoted by Sky Sports. “I’ve personally known him for many years, and he’s doing a good job for Red Bull.

“As long as a driver of that calibre is on the market, obviously you look if there is any discussion possible. … At this time of the year it’s still too early to talk about the line-up in the future, so it’s just a normal, gentle discussion.”

Alonso still has to make a decision

McLaren racing Zak Brown has admitted that Fernando Alonso might not race an orange car in formula one next year.

Spaniard Alonso won Le Mans recently, and he now wants victory at the Indy 500 to complete the elusive ‘triple crown’.

At the same time, he is obviously disenchanted with his lack of a competitive car and the overall situation in formula one.

“Fernando still has to make a decision,” Brown, the McLaren executive, said at Paul Ricard.

“We have a very good relationship with him, he has been with us for quite a long time now and ultimately it depends on what and where we will compete and how our F1 car develops,” he said.

“I’m optimistic that Fernando will stay in the family and in the formula one car,” he added.

“As long as he feels we can take a step forward, I think F1 is something he would like to continue doing.”

McLaren, though, had a dire weekend in France and was among the slowest cars in the field.

“It was our worst performances of the season and I hope an isolated case,” said team boss Eric Boullier.

Loading...

Comments

Latest Results

Latest F1 News

2019 F113 hours ago

Hamilton seizes final-breath Monaco GP pole

3SharesChampionship leader Lewis Hamilton beats his Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas to pole on final lap for Monaco Grand Prix. Red...

2019 F113 hours ago

Monaco GP Qualifying Results

3SharesFerrari youngster Charles Leclerc shock Q1 shoot-out. Out of top TEN: Hulkenberg, Norris, Grosjean, Raikkonen, Giovinazzi, Leclerc, Perez, Stroll, Russell,...

2019 F12 days ago

Lauda wanted Mercedes to keep going – Wolff

3SharesAn emotional Toto Wolff said in Monaco that Niki Lauda was enjoying Mercedes’ dominance in 2019. “The last time I...

2019 F12 days ago

Binotto excuses Leclerc’s mistakes

3SharesMattia Binotto has excused Charles Leclerc for making mistakes at the start of his career at Ferrari. While heralded by...

2019 F12 days ago

Ferrari should soon switch focus to 2020 – Webber

3SharesMark Webber thinks Ferrari should consider writing off the 2019 world championship after the next race in Canada. So far...

2019 F12 days ago

Lauda funeral set for Wednesday

3SharesThe public can attend Niki Lauda’s funeral next Wednesday. German-language reports say it will take place at the gothic St...

2019 F12 days ago

Alonso-McLaren relationship not broken – Brown

3SharesZak Brown insists McLaren’s relationship with Fernando Alonso is not broken. After almost winning the Indy 500 with the Andretti...

2019 F12 days ago

Raikkonen dislikes modern Monaco layout

3SharesKimi Raikkonen says Monaco has lost its magic of the past – for the drivers. This weekend, the Finn –...

2019 F12 days ago

F1 heading for new engine formula in 2025

3SharesF1 looks set to scrap the ‘power unit’ regulations for 2025. Due to their complexity, expense, lack of noise and...

2019 F13 days ago

Perez admits Mexico GP heading for axe

3SharesSergio Perez has admitted that his home race in Mexico looks set to drop off the 2020 calendar. Not yet...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media