Connect with us

2018 F1

Russian GP pressing ahead with ‘grid girls’ plan

Published

on

The promoter of the Russian grand prix says he is determined to find a way around F1’s new ‘grid girl’ ban.

Monaco has already announced that, notwithstanding Liberty Media’s ban, “beautiful women” will be on the grid next month — albeit not to hold the driver boards.

And a similar approach is being taken by Russian organisers, who have misgivings about replacing ‘grid girls’ with ‘grid kids’

“We do not want to give up girls — they are wonderful,” said promoter Sergei Vorobiev.

“We foresee that when children are close to cars, this is fraught with difficulties relating to security and image.

“But if we find the right approach and how to make the children’s participation justified, we will of course do it,” he added.

“At the same time we are developing creative approaches that will allow the girls to remain next to the cars,” revealed Vorobiev.

“It could be athletes, it could be representatives of the world of Russian art, but my task is to have our girls still going on the starting grid,” he said.

Another opponent of the grid girls ban is ousted former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, who met with Vorobiev in Bahrain last weekend.

“We are still friends and we talked very well, sharing our memories of various good projects of the past,” said the Russian official.

Loading...

Comments

Latest Results

Latest F1 News

2019 F114 hours ago

Hamilton seizes final-breath Monaco GP pole

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton beats his Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas to pole on final lap for Monaco Grand Prix. Red...

2019 F114 hours ago

Monaco GP Qualifying Results

Ferrari youngster Charles Leclerc shock Q1 shoot-out. Out of top TEN: Hulkenberg, Norris, Grosjean, Raikkonen, Giovinazzi, Leclerc, Perez, Stroll, Russell,...

2019 F12 days ago

Lauda wanted Mercedes to keep going – Wolff

An emotional Toto Wolff said in Monaco that Niki Lauda was enjoying Mercedes’ dominance in 2019. “The last time I...

2019 F12 days ago

Binotto excuses Leclerc’s mistakes

Mattia Binotto has excused Charles Leclerc for making mistakes at the start of his career at Ferrari. While heralded by...

2019 F12 days ago

Ferrari should soon switch focus to 2020 – Webber

Mark Webber thinks Ferrari should consider writing off the 2019 world championship after the next race in Canada. So far...

2019 F12 days ago

Lauda funeral set for Wednesday

The public can attend Niki Lauda’s funeral next Wednesday. German-language reports say it will take place at the gothic St...

2019 F12 days ago

Alonso-McLaren relationship not broken – Brown

Zak Brown insists McLaren’s relationship with Fernando Alonso is not broken. After almost winning the Indy 500 with the Andretti...

2019 F12 days ago

Raikkonen dislikes modern Monaco layout

Kimi Raikkonen says Monaco has lost its magic of the past – for the drivers. This weekend, the Finn –...

2019 F12 days ago

F1 heading for new engine formula in 2025

F1 looks set to scrap the ‘power unit’ regulations for 2025. Due to their complexity, expense, lack of noise and...

2019 F13 days ago

Perez admits Mexico GP heading for axe

Sergio Perez has admitted that his home race in Mexico looks set to drop off the 2020 calendar. Not yet...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media