Connect with us

2018 F1

Charles Leclerc relishes Formula 1 debut for ‘Alfa Romeo’

Published

on

  • 1
    Share

Charles Leclerc says he is relishing his new role as a works ‘Alfa Romeo’ driver.

The reigning Formula 2 champion has been signed up for 2018 by Sauber, the Swiss team now run by a boss from his junior days, Frederic Vasseur.

“I’ve known Charles since his karting days,” Vasseur told France’s Auto Hebdo.

“I’m happy because this is the first driver I’ve had in the junior categories that I now work with in F1.”

Vasseur said Leclerc’s approach to his Friday duties last year was particular impressive.

“He did not miss a single debriefing,” he revealed.

“I will not mention anyone, but there were others who would have returned to the hotel. All the drivers are fast, but the champions have something else as well.”

Sauber is sponsored by the Ferrari-linked Italian carmaker Alfa Romeo this year.

“There are so many people telling me ‘You will race with Alfa Romeo’, almost forgetting about Sauber,” Leclerc smiled. “But that is just the strength of a great name.

“Being part of a team with an Italian soul is beautiful,” he said.

Vasseur said he is sure Leclerc will shine in 2018, but less certain is the potential of his teammate, the now experienced Swede Marcus Ericsson.

But Vasseur told Blick newspaper: “He seldom had good equipment so his chances were limited.

“But he was good in the last 10 grands prix. He has developed a lot, he is a team player and he gives good feedback.”

For the Sauber lineups of the future, however, Vasseur has high hopes.

“I have worked with young drivers for 20 years,” said the Frenchman.

“I am planning a junior academy at Sauber, probably from 2019,” he revealed. “But there must be real potential, as with Charles Leclerc.”

Vasseur said Sauber’s 2018 car will be ready for testing next week.

“It will be at the first test in Barcelona,” he said.

“In the next few days, many parts will arrive and then assembly begins. Like all the teams, we will be working until the last minute.”

F2 champion Leclerc, however, told Autosprint: “It will be very difficult for me to replicate my Formula 2 season.

“Everything was perfect, both from the team and personal point of view. Now everything changes.

“Formula one is completely different from everything else. There is pressure, but not too much,” he said.

Loading...

Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F11 month ago

Hamilton and Mercedes clearly coming under pressure – J Verstappen

1ShareMax Verstappen’s father thinks the on-form Red Bull driver has rattled reigning five time world champion and 2019 championship leader...

2019 F11 month ago

20hp engine boost for Ferrari after summer break

1ShareToto Wolff is forecasting a “very strong” performance by Ferrari after the summer break. Marca sports newspaper reports that the...

2019 F11 month ago

I’m not ready for Formula E – Hulkenberg

1ShareNico Hulkenberg says he is “not ready” to contemplate a switch to Formula E. It is strongly rumoured that if...

2019 F11 month ago

BREAKING: Albon to replace Gasly from Belgian GP

1ShareToro Rosso’s speedy Alexander Albon will replace Pierre Gasly at Red Bull from the next race in Belgium, the F1...

2019 F11 month ago

Alonso says it is not true liking Vettel

1ShareFernando Alonso says it is not true that he doesn’t like Sebastian Vettel. In Hungary, amid rumours the retired double...

2019 F12 months ago

F1 teams balk at expensive new regulations

1ShareF1 teams are pushing back on proposed new regulations — for reasons of cost. One idea that could be scrapped...

2019 F12 months ago

McLaren targets Sainz to beat Gasly in 2019

1ShareMcLaren is targeting a coveted sixth place in the 2019 drivers’ world championship with Carlos Sainz. With Mercedes, Ferrari and...

2019 F12 months ago

F1 broadcaster fails to show Sainz in Hungary

1ShareCarlos Sainz was “the invisible man” during the recent Hungarian GP. In fact, well-known Spanish journalist Antonio Lobato claims that...

2019 F12 months ago

Marko confirms Verstappen staying at Red Bull-Honda for F1 2020

1ShareRed Bull motorsport head Dr Helmut Marko has confirmed that Max Verstappen is definitely staying at Red Bull-Honda in 2020....

2019 F12 months ago

Me and Russel are eating two different dishes – Kubica

1ShareRobert Kubica is yet to benefit from what seems to have been a clear step forward for Williams and George...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media