Connect with us

2018 F1

Third title is ‘first priority’ with McLaren-Renault – Alonso

Published

on

  • 101
    Shares

Fernando Alonso may have more plans to race outside of F1, but he insists that his role with McLaren-Renault remains his main focus.

Last year, the 36-year-old stunned the motor racing world by skipping Monaco to do the Indy 500, and right now he is testing in preparation for the forthcoming Daytona 24 hour.

Alonso makes no secret of his desire to win the rare ‘triple crown’ by adding Indy and Le Mans victories to his Monaco GP trophy, but he also says F1 is his number 1.

“Of course I focus first and foremost on formula one and the goal of winning a third world title,” he is quoted as saying in Daytona by Speed Week.

“With the Renault power unit we should be able to get involved at the front again.

“However, I also have plans for classic events that do not overlap with the F1 calendar. This race (Daytona) is the first step in endurance racing and of course I hope I like it because Le Mans is another goal of mine.

“If Le Mans works out this year, it would be great and hopefully next year I could be back at the Indy 500,” the Spaniard added.

However, he says he does not have his sights set on Nascar.

“Those cars require a unique driving style which can only be acquired through a lot of practice and I do not have that many free weekends,” Alonso said.

“But after the 24 hour here I’m sure I’ll watch the Nascar race, but that will be my only step towards Nascar — watching on TV,” he smiled.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F12 days ago

Ferrari to reveal 2019 car on February 15

101SharesFerrari will reveal its 2019 challenger on February 15, team boss Maurizio Arrivabene said on Thursday. The Italian attended an...

2018 F13 days ago

F1 teams worried about Brexit crisis

101SharesF1 teams admit they are worried about the Brexit crisis that is occurring in Britain. After British people voted in...

2018 F13 days ago

‘I have mixed feelings’ about Kubica return – Vettel

101SharesSebastian Vettel says he has “mixed feelings” about Robert Kubica’s return to formula one. Former grand prix winner Kubica, now...

2018 F13 days ago

Monza seeking EUR 100m for upgrade

101SharesMonza is looking for EUR 100 million to upgrade the Italian grand prix venue and secure a new grand prix...

2018 F14 days ago

Sirotkin to test DTM, Hartley to Porsche

101SharesSergey Sirotkin could keep his motor racing career alive in the German touring car series DTM. SMP Racing, his Russian...

2018 F14 days ago

McLaren not ‘copying’ Red Bull car – Sainz

101SharesCarlos Sainz has played down claims McLaren is ‘copying’ Red Bull’s chassis concept for 2019. With Red Bull moving to...

2018 F14 days ago

Barcelona hopes for new F1 contract

101SharesOrganisers of the Spanish grand prix are still not sure they will reach a new agreement with Liberty Media. Vicenc...

2018 F15 days ago

Berger sees F1 chance for nephew Auer

101Shares is hoping his nephew may have a future in formula one. One the one hand, the F1 legend said...

2018 F15 days ago

Hamilton teammate Bottas ‘is not there’ – Verstappen

101SharesMax Verstappen has admitted he will try to emulate Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes’ approach to winning the world championship. The...

2018 F15 days ago

Mexico GP future in doubt

101SharesA cloud has moved above the future of the highly popular Mexican grand prix. The rejuvenated race at the iconic...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media