Connect with us

2017 F1

Toro Rosso to announce Gasly’s US GP replacement

Published

on

Team owner Red Bull will imminently decide who will replace Toro Rosso’s Pierre Gasly at the US grand prix next weekend.

Red Bull official Dr Helmut Marko says Toro Rosso’s media statement saying Gasly will race alongside Daniil Kvyat in Austin was “wrong”.

He said the team was caught off-guard by the late deal reached between Renault and Red Bull regarding the early release of Carlos Sainz to the French team.

“Renault decided very late and a little unexpectedly in changing (Jolyon) Palmer,” Marko told Auto Motor und Sport.

“Gasly cannot drive in Austin because our new engine partner Honda wants him to get the Super Formula title at the same time in Japan,” he added. “We cannot deny their wish.”

There is reportedly a huge list of potential one-off replacements for Gasly.

Among them are Robert Kubica, Sergey Sirotkin, Sebastien Buemi and even Takuma Sato and Indycar champion Josef Newgarden.

“Don’t worry,” Marko said. “We will know who is in the second Toro Rosso on Tuesday.”

Buemi, a long-time Red Bull-backed driver, is perhaps the frontrunner.

But Marko admitted that bringing him back to F1 full-time next year as a replacement for Carlos Sainz is unlikely.

“Even if Toyota leaves Le Mans, it would be difficult to get Buemi next year because of Honda,” Marko said, referring to the Swiss driver’s existing contract. “The competition between the Japanese companies is too big.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F12 days ago

F1 has ‘other options’ to British GP – Carey

Chase Carey has admitted a cloud still hangs over the future of the British grand prix. Last year, Silverstone’s owner,...

2018 F12 days ago

Carey admits no ‘new engine’ for 2021

Chase Carey has admitted F1’s engines will not change significantly for 2021. Earlier, Liberty Media wanted drastically different engines compared...

2018 F12 days ago

Lewis Hamilton says he is not interested in Formula E

Lewis Hamilton says he is not interested in Formula E because of the lack of petrol power, sound and speed....

2018 F12 days ago

Carey defends ending F1 betting sponsorship ban

Chase Carey has defended F1’s move into the world of gambling. For four decades, former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone did...

2018 F13 days ago

Brazil ramps up efforts to keep grand prix

Organisers of the Brazilian grand prix have ramped up efforts to keep Interlagos on the F1 calendar. The contract expires...

2018 F13 days ago

Marchionne death hurt Ferrari morale – Tronchetti Provera

Ferrari is “very close” to its goal of bringing the title back to Maranello after more than a decade. That...

2018 F13 days ago

Verstappen would ‘kick psychologist out’

Max Verstappen says he regrets nothing about shoving Esteban Ocon after Sunday’s Brazilian grand prix. The Dutchman will do two...

2018 F14 days ago

Miami GP plans still not dead – Carey

Chase Carey insists that plans for a grand prix in Miami have not been scrapped. In late September, the Miami...

2018 F14 days ago

‘Only goal’ is sports car title – Alonso

Fernando Alonso says his “only goal” for now is winning the world endurance championship. The Spaniard is retiring from F1...

2018 F14 days ago

Vettel not worried about incoming Leclerc

Sebastian Vettel says he is not worried about the ambitions of his new Ferrari teammate for 2019. German Vettel has...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media