Connect with us

F1 top news

Robert Kubica passes FIA’s cockpit extraction test

Published

on

Robert Kubica has passed the FIA’s mandatory cockpit extraction test ahead of his first drive in Renault’s 2017 F1 car and its boosting his opportunity of making a return to F1 as a full-time race driver role for next year.

Kubica took the cockpit extraction test, which guarantees a driver can exit a car within 5.0sec and replace the steering wheel within 10.0sec with wearing full race kit and helmet, on Monday ahead of his second F1 test of 2017 with Renault, which will take place this Wednesday.

The Polish driver has not participated in F1 since he suffered life-changing injuries in a crash in 2011, but now hopes to return to the sport after a six-year break.

He drove an F1 car for the first time in almost seven years during a private test with Renault at Valencia in June, and then completed 90 laps at Paul Ricard in the week before the British GP. It is proved his right arm ability, which mainly injured in a serious rallying accident back in 2011.

The FIA confirmed on Monday that Kubica passed the test, paving the way for the Krakow-born driver’s return to racing in 2018.

Kubica then drove the 2012 racer at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, where he was mobbed by fans eager to ask him about his comeback prospects. In the sanctuary of a Renault support truck in the Goodwood paddock, we asked him whether his fans should get their hopes up.

“They are getting over-optimistic,” the 32-year-old said through a smile.

“I have been away from racing for more than six years. The key point of the Valencia test was to give me a good opportunity to test an F1 car, but also to see if I could do it or not.”

“We have to be realistic. My state was very bad after the accident,” Kubica said. “Everybody sees me as a racing driver, but I am a human being. I wake up like everybody does. I have my better days and my worse days.”

Kubica has recently tested GP3 and Formula E cars, and showed good pace despite finding it difficult without power steering.

“F1 is tough and I have been away from racing for a long time,” Kubica said. “I don’t want to risk going racing when I’m not ready for a couple of races and then have a setback.”

Kubica will only consider an offer of an F1 drive if all the circumstances are right: the car, the team and, most importantly, his health. “I am not 18 any more. I’m not a rookie that wants every chance to race in F1. I only want to be in F1 if I’m 100% sure I am capable of doing the job. This is the target, although I don’t know if I will have the opportunity.”

Loading...

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2019 F113 hours ago

Impressive Albon used to Red Bull pressure

Alexander Albon says he is used to the pressure of the Red Bull environment. The Thai-British driver has been hailed...

2019 F115 hours ago

Prost slams Senna movie

Alain Prost has slammed the 2010 movie about Ayrton Senna. “I hate the Senna movie. I really hate it,” the...

2019 F115 hours ago

Giovinazzi wants more time to learn

Antonio Giovinazzi will soon look better alongside his Alfa Romeo teammate Kimi Raikkonen. That is the view of team boss...

2019 F12 days ago

Renault to have best F1 engine – Prost

Renault is on the right path to having “one of the best engines” on the grid. That is the view...

2019 F12 days ago

Verstappen has right approach in 2019 – Marko

Max Verstappen is being patient as Red Bull-Honda ramps up in 2019. Rumours that the Dutch driver is in talks...

2019 F12 days ago

Raikkonen took beer sponsor to Alfa Romeo

Kimi Raikkonen took a personal sponsor with him to Alfa Romeo. Until last year, the Thai beer Singha appeared on...

2019 F12 days ago

Gasly too aggressive with Red Bull car

Pierre Gasly says he has identified how to change his driving style for the rest of the 2019 season. Gasly...

2019 F12 days ago

Leclerc calm amid Ferrari rumblings – Danner

Charles Leclerc is “calm” even though he is making big waves at Ferrari. That is the view of former F1...

2019 F12 days ago

Marko happy with rookie Albon

Dr Helmut Marko says he is more than happy with new Toro Rosso driver Alexander Albon. Thai-British driver Albon was...

2019 F12 days ago

Magnussen sponsor affected by Sri Lanka attacks

A sponsor involved in formula one is grieving the loss of three of his children after the Easter terror attacks...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media