Connect with us

2018 F1

Ferrari probably keeps Raikkonen alongside Vettel for 2018 F1

Published

on

Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne has confirmed the reports that, the Italian team will probably keep its driver lineup the same in 2018 Formula 1.

Italian sources had reported that, having made a new deal for Kimi Raikkonen a condition, Sebastian Vettel was now ready to ink a contract beyond 2017.

Reportedly, the deal will be announced at Ferrari’s home race at Monza in September.

Marchionne was making one of his visits to the paddock in Hungary, and he admitted that Raikkonen’s sportsmanship in not attacking Vettel’s lead had pleased him.

“He was great. We are a single team at Maranello, all working together,” he said.

When asked about the reports that Vettel-Raikkonen will be kept in place for 2018, the Italian-Canadian admitted: “It is more than 50 per cent probable.

“They are great together so it would be a risk to change the game now. Let’s see if we can keep them for 2018. I think they want to stay,” Marchionne added.

“We should be able to announce our drivers at Monza. Nothing is signed yet but we are talking to the drivers and the agreement may be close.”

Team boss Maurizio Arrivabene agreed that Hungary was a great example of Raikkonen being an ideal teammate for Vettel.

“Do not forget that he is the last Ferrari world champion and today he showed that. Only a champion like him could defend his teammate like a Viking, with no tricks and no deception,” he said.

However, there are rumours that Vettel actually signed a ‘pre-agreement’ with Mercedes last winter, and that is why he cannot negotiate with Ferrari until the end of July.

“I don’t know how to answer you,” Marchionne said when asked by Corriere della Sera.

“If he does not want to stay, then we will find a different solution and life goes on, because this is Ferrari. But if I look at Sebastian, then in a lot of ways he is already more Italian than many of us!”

Asked if Lewis Hamilton would be the logical ‘different solution’ in the event that Vettel does leave, Marchionne answered: “Ferrari is everyone’s dream and ending a career here would be a privilege.

“But so far we have not gone with him and I do not want to talk about the future because we have two great drivers already,” he insisted.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F17 hours ago

Preview for the Belgium GP

On Sunday 26th August some of the best Forumla 1 racers in the world will take to the Belgium Spa...

2018 F11 day ago

Gasly to replace Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1

French speedy Pierre Gasly will replace the leaving Daniel Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1 season, the Formula 1...

2018 F11 day ago

Villeneuve urges Ferrari to retain Raikkonen

It was recently announced that Kimi Raikkonen will be spending another year at Ferrari, however, alongside Sebastian Vettel. It’s a...

2018 F15 days ago

McLaren confirms Sainz to replace Alonso in 2019 F1

McLaren Racing today confirms that Carlos Sainz will race for the team in Formula 1 from the 2019 FIA Formula...

2018 F11 week ago

Alonso will not race F1 in 2019

Marking 14th August as a day he would make an announcement on twitter, Fernando Alonso announced that he won’t be...

2018 F11 week ago

Ricciardo is not happy with Verstappen, It’s a risk – Massa

Felipe Massa says he can understand why Daniel Ricciardo decided to quit Red Bull. Ricciardo, one of F1’s top drivers,...

2018 F11 week ago

Stroll leads Force India rescue deal

Force India has been rescued by a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll, the billionaire father of Williams driver Lance Stroll....

2018 F12 weeks ago

Giovinazzi targeting 2019 Sauber race seat

Antonio Giovinazzi admits he has an eye on a Sauber seat for 2019. Ferrari’s other protege, Charles Leclerc, is linked...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Stroll should leave Williams now – Villeneuve

Jacques Villeneuve thinks Canadian countryman Lance Stroll should leave Williams immediately. Stroll’s billionaire father Lawrence is leading the consortium that...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Alonso could leave F1 for 2019 Indycar – McLaren boss

Zak Brown has admitted it is possible Fernando Alonso will leave McLaren and F1 for the Indycar series in 2019....




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media