Connect with us

F1 top news

F1 is our racing sport, not dumping for Formula E – Lauda

Published

on

Niki Lauda says there is no risk Mercedes will dump F1 in favour of the increasingly-popular all-electric series Formula E.

Mercedes and Porsche made waves earlier this week by pulling out of DTM and Le Mans respectively in order to enter Formula E.

But Lauda, the Mercedes F1 team chairman, says there is no risk the decision is a precursor to Mercedes dumping its F1 programme.

“Formula one is our racing sport so an exit is not an issue at all,” he told the German broadcaster RTL.

Rather, Lauda said entering Formula E is simply about the future. “We had to ask ‘Where is the future going?’

“At the same time we have to try to make Formula E more attractive, because at the moment you even have to change the batteries.”

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff agrees: “Formula E is still at the beginning of its development, but electrification is in full swing.

“I would not be surprised if in three, four, five years Formula E is completely different and we are talking about every single race.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F11 day ago

Abu Dhabi happy to stay season finale

Abu Dhabi wants to remain the last grand prix on F1’s annual calendar. That is despite that fact that, as...

2018 F12 days ago

Red Bull drivers expect Honda progress in 2019

Red Bull’s 2019 drivers do not expect Honda to have a field-beating engine at the beginning of next season. Pierre...

2018 F12 days ago

Renault CEO arrested in Japan

Carlos Ghosn, the top executive of the Renault F1 team’s parent car manufacturer, has been arrested in Japan. State prosecutors...

2018 F12 days ago

Friends know nothing of Schumacher condition

Even Mick Schumacher’s closest racing friends know nothing about the condition of the 19-year-old F3 champion’s famous father. The entire...

2018 F12 days ago

Williams set to announce Kubica on Thursday

Williams looks set to announce Robert Kubica as its second driver for 2019 this weekend in Abu Dhabi. Journalist Cezary...

2018 F13 days ago

” Mick must be incredibly strong to do the same job “- Alain Prost

Alain Prost is expecting Mick Schumacher to step up to Formula 2 in 2019. This year, the son of Prost’s...

2018 F13 days ago

Prost ‘not unhappy’ Red Bull deal ending

Alain Prost says he is not sad that Renault’s long collaboration with Red Bull is finally ending. The two parties...

2018 F13 days ago

Ticktum, Albon in doubt for Toro Rosso seat

A new question mark hangs above the second Toro Rosso cockpit for 2019. Daniil Kvyat has been signed up already,...

2018 F13 days ago

F1 boss Carey visits Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro has emerged as a potential future F1 race host. With Interlagos to be privatised and Liberty Media...

2018 F13 days ago

Alonso not ruling out F1 return for 2020

Fernando Alonso is not ruling out a full-time return to formula one for 2019. Disenchanted with the category, the double...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media