Connect with us

F1 top news

Honda quits Sauber F1 engine deal

Published

on

Honda has reneged on its promise to supply Sauber with customer engines next year.

That is the sensational claim of Germany’s Auto Bild, fuelling speculation the hapless Japanese manufacturer could be about to quit formula one altogether.

That’s because the news coincides with speculation McLaren has looked into dropping its works Honda deal in order to switch to a customer engine supplied by Mercedes, Renault or even Ferrari.

But another victim looks set to be the small Swiss team Sauber, with Auto Bild saying the end of the Honda deal leaves them with “no engine” for 2018.

“Honda has dissolved the contract,” said the report.

Another reason for the Sauber-Honda split could be that the deal was brokered by Monisha Kaltenborn, who has since been ousted by the Swiss team’s new owners.

Since then, rumours of continuing ructions at Sauber have swirled.

Blick, the Swiss newspaper, reported that long-time Beat Zehnder could be named the new team boss, but in fact Sauber announced on Wednesday that the deal with former Renault chief Frederic Vasseur has finally been done.

“Frederic’s long and successful career in top level international motor sport speaks for itself,” said Sauber owner Pascal Picci.

Loading...

Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F11 month ago

Hamilton and Mercedes clearly coming under pressure – J Verstappen

Max Verstappen’s father thinks the on-form Red Bull driver has rattled reigning five time world champion and 2019 championship leader...

2019 F11 month ago

20hp engine boost for Ferrari after summer break

Toto Wolff is forecasting a “very strong” performance by Ferrari after the summer break. Marca sports newspaper reports that the...

2019 F11 month ago

I’m not ready for Formula E – Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he is “not ready” to contemplate a switch to Formula E. It is strongly rumoured that if...

2019 F11 month ago

BREAKING: Albon to replace Gasly from Belgian GP

Toro Rosso’s speedy Alexander Albon will replace Pierre Gasly at Red Bull from the next race in Belgium, the F1...

2019 F11 month ago

Alonso says it is not true liking Vettel

Fernando Alonso says it is not true that he doesn’t like Sebastian Vettel. In Hungary, amid rumours the retired double...

2019 F11 month ago

F1 teams balk at expensive new regulations

F1 teams are pushing back on proposed new regulations — for reasons of cost. One idea that could be scrapped...

2019 F11 month ago

McLaren targets Sainz to beat Gasly in 2019

McLaren is targeting a coveted sixth place in the 2019 drivers’ world championship with Carlos Sainz. With Mercedes, Ferrari and...

2019 F11 month ago

F1 broadcaster fails to show Sainz in Hungary

Carlos Sainz was “the invisible man” during the recent Hungarian GP. In fact, well-known Spanish journalist Antonio Lobato claims that...

2019 F11 month ago

Marko confirms Verstappen staying at Red Bull-Honda for F1 2020

Red Bull motorsport head Dr Helmut Marko has confirmed that Max Verstappen is definitely staying at Red Bull-Honda in 2020....

2019 F11 month ago

Me and Russel are eating two different dishes – Kubica

Robert Kubica is yet to benefit from what seems to have been a clear step forward for Williams and George...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media