Connect with us

F1 top news

East London could host next British Formula 1 Grand Prix

Published

on

Formula One’s new owner Liberty Media is considering moving the British Grand Prix to east London, following Silverstone’s owners yesterday triggered a break clause that will see an end to the race at the circuit after 2019 unless a new deal is agreed.

The British Racing Drivers’ Club (BRDC), which owns Silverstone, warned this year of the potentially ruinous cost of hosting the race under the contract with the Formula One Group.

It is set to run until 2026 but includes a clause that raises the hosting fee each year. It is understood to have been £12 million (S$21.34 million) in 2010 and is set to rise to £27 million by the contract’s conclusion.

The BRDC had made its concerns known to Formula One’s new owner, Liberty Media, before making its decision.

“It is not financially viable for us to deliver the British Grand Prix under the terms of our current contract,” said John Grant, chairman of the BRDC. “We sustained losses of £2.8 million in 2015 and £4.8 million in 2016, and we expect to lose a similar amount this year.

“We have reached the tipping point where we can no longer let our passion for the sport rule our heads. It would not only risk the very future of Silverstone and the BRDC, but also the British motorsport community that depends on us.

“However, I want to be clear that although we have now activated the break clause, we are fully supportive of the changes the Liberty team are making to improve the F1 experience.

“Our hope is that an agreement can still be reached, so that we can ensure a sustainable and financially viable future for the British Grand Prix at Silverstone for many years to come.”

Liberty has previously said it wants to engage with circuits in order to help them generate more revenue but Silverstone is already almost at capacity in terms of selling tickets.

The race is one of the best-attended on the F1 calendar and attracted 139,000 fans last year and a similar number in 2015. This weekend’s race is expected to attract 140,000 spectators to Silverstone on Sunday alone.

Liberty is understood to be keen to keep a British Grand Prix on the calendar. Chase Carey, the chairman and chief executive of Formula One, said that he wants more street races, including one in London.

Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, was thought to oppose the idea due to the pollution, but a source said that Liberty is considering the Docklands area in east London. The cars would race with Canary Wharf and the River Thames behind them.

The Canary Wharf Group, backed by the Qatari Investment Authority, owns much of the area.

A statement from Khan said that he would consider a race.

“London is always open to hosting the world’s best sport events,” he said.

“We have had no approach from F1 about a race. We would need to consider the full impact of a race weekend on air pollution and safety.”

Source: The Guardian & Reuters

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F19 hours ago

Schumacher happy with Ferrari interest

Mick Schumacher says he is happy with Ferrari’s interest in his flourishing formative career. After a moderate start, the 19-year-old’s...

2018 F11 day ago

Giovinazzi tipped to replace Ericsson at Sauber F1

Sauber boss Frederic Vasseur has denied that taking on Kimi Raikkonen for 2019 is part of the Swiss team’s deal...

2018 F11 day ago

Leclerc could beat Vettel at Ferrari – Marciello

Charles Leclerc could emerge as Ferrari’s number 1 driver as quickly as 2019. That is the view of racing driver...

2018 F13 days ago

I can still become world champion with my own power – Vettel

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, the highly influential Italian sports daily, Sebastian Vettel said “Ciao Mondiali” to his hopes...

2018 F14 days ago

Vettel misses Schumacher amid 2018 F1 struggle

Sebastian Vettel thinks he would benefit from the advice of his old friend and mentor Michael Schumacher. One analysis of...

2018 F15 days ago

Verstappen says Red Bull never considered deal with Alonso

Max Verstappen says Red Bull never considered signing up Fernando Alonso for 2019. That is despite the fact that, recently,...

2018 F15 days ago

Honda poised to overtake Renault for power

Honda could be poised to overtake Renault and cease having the least powerful engine in F1. Auto Motor und Sport...

2018 F11 week ago

Pascal Wehrlein on pole for 2019 Toro Rosso race seat

Pascal Wehrlein has emerged as a top candidate to return to F1 next year. Just days ago, Mercedes admitted that...

2018 F11 week ago

I’ll be with Force India until the end of 2018 – Ocon

Esteban Ocon says he should keep his Force India cockpit for the rest of the 2018 season. Earlier, there was...

2018 F11 week ago

FIA clears legality of Ferrari’s camera-blocking ‘fan’

F1’s governing body has cleared Ferrari to keep using a controversial airbox fan. In the Singapore pits, the Italian team...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media