Connect with us

Azerbaijan GP

Vettel could face race ban, FIA Launch Investigation into Baku clash

Published

on

Ferrari ace, Sebastian Vettel is being investigated by the Formula One governing body, FIA for the incident in which he clashes with Lewis Hamilton in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix on Sunday.

Four-time world champion ran into the rear of Hamilton’s Mercedes during the safety car period. Angry, Vettel then pulled alongside Hamilton before purposely driving into the Briton’s car.

During the race Vettel was given a 10-second stop-go penalty at the time but now faces a more severe sanction, possibly including a race ban, huge fine and grid drop for next grand prix.

A statement released by FIA on Wednesday afternoon read:

A FIA statement said: “Following the recent incident at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix in which Car 5 (Sebastian Vettel) was involved in a collision with Car 44 (Lewis Hamilton), on Monday 3rd July, the FIA will further examine the causes on the incident in order to evaluate whether further action is necessary.

“A statement regarding the outcome of this process will be made available before the upcoming Austrian Grand Prix.”

Following the race, Hamilton did not fight with words about the incident, describing the Ferrari driver’s conduct as unfitting of a four time Formula One world champion.

“I didn’t [brake check Vettel], Hamilton explains. “I control the pace, so like all the other restarts I slowed down at the same spot. He was obviously sleeping and drove into the back of me.”

“But that wasn’t the issue for me. Driving alongside and driving deliberately into a driver and getting away scot-free, pretty much – he still came away with fourth – I think that’s a disgrace. I think he disgraced himself today, to be honest.”

Hamilton, who had led strongly from pole position, finished fifth after he made unscheduled pit when his headrest loose during the final part of race.

“Then the penalty was too mild for what I think was unsporting behaviour,” he added.

“For him to pretty much get away with driving into another driver is a disgrace,” Hamilton said. “I think he disgraced himself today.

Vettel initially claimed Hamilton of ‘brake testing’ him by suddenly slowing coming out of Turn 16 as the safety car prepared to return to the pits.

The FIA said on Sunday, however, that the data showed the Briton had “maintained a consistent speed and behaved in the same manner on that occasion as in all the other re-starts during the race”.

The incident has been the talk of Formula One, with considerable debate on the severity of the punishment and fans divided.

“I think the stewards got it right; I wouldn’t have disqualified him or banned him from the next race unless he took Hamilton out of Baku,” said former racer and Sky Sports commentator Martin Brundle.

The FIA president Jean Todt’s intervention could be because Vettel is in trouble just eight months after his foul-mouthed outburst against F1 race direction Charlie Whiting in Mexico last year. Last October the German escaped sanction after apologising to Whiting.

Former F1 driver Christian Klien told Austrian broadcaster Servus TV: “Sure, Hamilton’s action was a provocation but Vettel really lost his nerve in an unsporting way.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F18 hours ago

Berger tips Mick Schumacher for Ferrari seat

F1 legend Gerhard Berger thinks Michael Schumacher’s son is on the road to a career at Ferrari. Currently, rumours are...

2018 F18 hours ago

Vettel no fan of electric cars

Sebastian Vettel says he is no fan of the trend towards electrically powered cars. The new Formula E season has...

2018 F19 hours ago

Canada GP not in danger – promoter

The future of the Canadian grand prix is not in danger. That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois...

2018 F19 hours ago

Team incidents hurt Ferrari in 2018 – boss

Maurizio Arrivabene thinks a series of incidents hurt Ferrari’s charge for the 2018 title. Some think the biggest problem with...

2018 F13 days ago

Ferrari to reveal 2019 car on February 15

Ferrari will reveal its 2019 challenger on February 15, team boss Maurizio Arrivabene said on Thursday. The Italian attended an...

2018 F14 days ago

F1 teams worried about Brexit crisis

F1 teams admit they are worried about the Brexit crisis that is occurring in Britain. After British people voted in...

2018 F14 days ago

‘I have mixed feelings’ about Kubica return – Vettel

Sebastian Vettel says he has “mixed feelings” about Robert Kubica’s return to formula one. Former grand prix winner Kubica, now...

2018 F14 days ago

Monza seeking EUR 100m for upgrade

Monza is looking for EUR 100 million to upgrade the Italian grand prix venue and secure a new grand prix...

2018 F15 days ago

Sirotkin to test DTM, Hartley to Porsche

Sergey Sirotkin could keep his motor racing career alive in the German touring car series DTM. SMP Racing, his Russian...

2018 F15 days ago

McLaren not ‘copying’ Red Bull car – Sainz

Carlos Sainz has played down claims McLaren is ‘copying’ Red Bull’s chassis concept for 2019. With Red Bull moving to...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media