Connect with us

Azerbaijan GP

Calling ban, I don’t find very gentleman or polite – Sainz

Published

on

Toro Rosso ace Carlos Sainz believes it is disrespectful for F1 competitors to suggest he should be banned for his role in the first-lap incident that ended his Canadian Grand Prix.

Sainz says that Romain Grosjean was his blind spot, when they are fight for position in Montreal, as the Toro Rosso ace clipped wheels with the Haas F1 driver and was sent into a spin. The Spaniard collected the unlucky Massa to send both cars out on the spot.

Following the incident Sainz received a post-race three-place grid penalty for Baku but Massa feels for the scale of the accident the Toro Rosso driver’s punishment didn’t fit the crime.

“It looked quite dangerous when it happened. I was unlucky to be out of the race that way,” Massa said.

“I spoke to Carlos straight after as I had no idea what happened and he said he was completely sideways before the gravel because somebody had touched him already. That’s what he told me.

“Then when I saw it after I saw that he started it which is a shame. I don’t think it is so different what he did to what Grosjean did and Carlos only lost three places on the start [for Azerbaijan GP].”

Speaking after Friday practice in Baku, Sainz said he was surprised the accident was still being discussed and feels it is unsuitable for drivers to call for one another to be banned.

“I went to the stewards, commented with Romain, with Haas,” he said when asked by Autosport about the incident and the comments that have been made since. They all clearly saw what happened, that Romain was in my blind spot.

“Since then I apologised, and people tend to keep going on and on about it. In Canada on Sunday I was watching onboards of Baku, and people on Friday in Baku are still thinking about Sunday in Canada, and asking for race bans, which I don’t find very gentleman or polite.

“Especially when the stewards saw it and gave me a three-place grid penalty.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2019 F12 days ago

Ferrari F1 launch the SF90 for 2019 F1 season

The championship bidder Ferrari unveiled their 2019 F1 car, the SF90. In a launch event at the Ferrari HQ, the...

2019 F12 days ago

Formula E boss not ruling out F1 merger

Alejandro Agag, the boss of Formula E, is not ruling out a “long term” merger with formula one. Once dismissed...

2019 F12 days ago

F1 will not scrap Friday practice

F1 is not about to scrap Friday practice. That is the claim of Francois Dumontier, boss of the Canadian grand...

2019 F12 days ago

Alonso is de-facto reserve driver – Brown

Fernando Alonso might be regarded as a de-facto “reserve driver” at McLaren this year. That is the news from team...

2019 F12 days ago

Stroll aims to avoid war of words with Williams

Lance Stroll has hit back after his former boss accused him recently of arriving in F1 “too early”. Stroll, now...

2019 F12 days ago

Lack of partner team no problem for Renault – Prost

Alain Prost says Renault is not missing out by not having a ‘junior’ partner team. Red Bull and Toro Rosso...

2019 F12 days ago

New Alfa Romeo has revolutionary front wing

Sauber’s Alfa Romeo-branded new car for 2019 turned heads when it hit the Fiorano circuit for a shakedown on Thursday....

2019 F13 days ago

Kimi Raikkonen debuts 2019 Alfa Romeo Racing F1 car

Alfa Romeo Racing’s 2019 F1 car hits the track for the first time at Italy. These first images from Fiorano...

2019 F13 days ago

McLaren launches its 2019 F1 car MCL34

McLaren has launched its 2019 F1 car, the Renault-powered MCL34, at a launch event in team factory base at Woking....

2019 F13 days ago

He does not fear Daniel Ricciardo – Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he does not fear Daniel Ricciardo. The pair’s Renault boss, Cyril Abiteboul, says 31-year-old Hulkenberg is “enormously...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media