Connect with us

Bernie Ecclestone

Liberty Media making F1 TV broadcasters ‘unsettled’ – Bernie

Published

on

Bernie Ecclestone has questioned his successor’s apparent ‘all change’ approach to running F1.

With the Liberty Media takeover, long-time F1 supremo Ecclestone, 86, was replaced as chief executive by Chase Carey and two deputies.

On the fact that three men are now doing the former work of one, Ecclestone told Blick newspaper: “That is almost a compliment. But it’s now a completely different way of thinking and working.”

For one thing, chief Carey has not been shy to criticise Ecclestone’s formerly dictatorial style.

“I have to live with that (criticism),” Ecclestone said.

“Maybe I should have changed more things,” he added, “as the Americans seem to now be about changing everything.

“For me it was always clear: I wanted to run Formula One Management so that it makes a profit for the shareholders. And in the end, the shares were so high that this was the reason it was purchased by the Liberty group.”

When asked what his relationship with Carey is like today, Ecclestone answered: “Well, he doesn’t need me. He says he knows what he is doing.

“And he has surrounded himself with people who also claim to know what they are doing,” he added.

Recently, Ecclestone criticised the new regime’s focus on social media, and now he says all that free content is upsetting the TV broadcasters.

“A lot of the TV stations are unsettled and annoyed,” he claimed.

Asked if that’s a problem, Ecclestone said: “Yes. We have contracts with these stations which are very exclusive.

“But right now it looks like you can get formula one without paying anything.”

Ecclestone was also always opposed to working with Ross Brawn, who is now Carey’s sporting deputy.

The Briton said: “Ross never had an insight into our business. He worked as an engineer with Flavio Briatore at Benetton. Then he went to Ferrari, and I don’t want to talk about how he later ran his team.

“But he does not have the big picture of politics and commercial processes,” Ecclestone insisted.

However, he also says Brawn is “not an idiot”, and agrees that F1 is still able to thrive and succeed in the new era.

“And I will be the first to congratulate those responsible,” said Ecclestone. “But it is not there yet.”

When asked what advice he would give Carey, Brawn and co, he answered: “Why should I recommend anything to these gentlemen? They have different views, as I said before.”

But Ecclestone said he always argued against the unpopular ‘power unit’ engines, and said the faster cars of 2017 were his idea.

When told that the races in 2017 have been exciting so far, Ecclestone said: “Right, but that had nothing to do with the new leadership.

“Two years ago I decided to go for a new regulation. With wider tyres and wider cars. This has changed the situation for the better.”

Finally, Ecclestone said he still goes to work every day. “I go to my office very early, and often leave very late. I keep my rhythm.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F19 hours ago

Berger tips Mick Schumacher for Ferrari seat

F1 legend Gerhard Berger thinks Michael Schumacher’s son is on the road to a career at Ferrari. Currently, rumours are...

2018 F19 hours ago

Vettel no fan of electric cars

Sebastian Vettel says he is no fan of the trend towards electrically powered cars. The new Formula E season has...

2018 F19 hours ago

Canada GP not in danger – promoter

The future of the Canadian grand prix is not in danger. That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois...

2018 F110 hours ago

Team incidents hurt Ferrari in 2018 – boss

Maurizio Arrivabene thinks a series of incidents hurt Ferrari’s charge for the 2018 title. Some think the biggest problem with...

2018 F13 days ago

Ferrari to reveal 2019 car on February 15

Ferrari will reveal its 2019 challenger on February 15, team boss Maurizio Arrivabene said on Thursday. The Italian attended an...

2018 F14 days ago

F1 teams worried about Brexit crisis

F1 teams admit they are worried about the Brexit crisis that is occurring in Britain. After British people voted in...

2018 F14 days ago

‘I have mixed feelings’ about Kubica return – Vettel

Sebastian Vettel says he has “mixed feelings” about Robert Kubica’s return to formula one. Former grand prix winner Kubica, now...

2018 F14 days ago

Monza seeking EUR 100m for upgrade

Monza is looking for EUR 100 million to upgrade the Italian grand prix venue and secure a new grand prix...

2018 F15 days ago

Sirotkin to test DTM, Hartley to Porsche

Sergey Sirotkin could keep his motor racing career alive in the German touring car series DTM. SMP Racing, his Russian...

2018 F15 days ago

McLaren not ‘copying’ Red Bull car – Sainz

Carlos Sainz has played down claims McLaren is ‘copying’ Red Bull’s chassis concept for 2019. With Red Bull moving to...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media