Connect with us

F1 top news

‘Devastated’ Hamilton seeks answers to tyre mystery

Published

on

Lewis Hamilton declared himself ‘devastated’ on Saturday after failing to qualify his Mercedes in the top half of the grid for the Monaco Grand Prix.

The disappointment of setting only the 14th fastest time, even if he will start the race in 13th place, was crushing on a sunny afternoon when the Briton’s Ferrari rivals swept the front row.

So much so, that he stayed in the car long after it had been pushed back into the team’s garage at the end of the second session.

“I get over things relatively quick but I was devastated after the session,” the triple world champion, who is six points behind Ferrari’s championship leader Sebastian Vettel after five races, told reporters.

“To the point that I couldn’t get out of the car.

“Everyone’s working back at the factory so hard and they rely on me to get it together and today somehow I wasn’t able to,” added the two-times Monaco winner.

Hamilton, whose team mate Valtteri Bottas qualified third behind Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen and Vettel, said he had been unable to get the tyres working in the required temperature window.

The fact that Bottas had clearly managed to do so, as was the case in Russia where the Finn took his first Formula One race win on a day of struggle for Hamilton, made it all the more galling.

“At the moment it is a big unknown but a lot of analysis will go into trying to understand it. It is a tyre issue, I didn’t get the grip from the tyres,” said Hamilton.

“We had a little bit of a similar scenario in Sochi, particularly on my side.”

Hamilton said it was baffling how one car could have the tyres working and the other not, and hoped Bottas could win on Sunday to limit the damage on a track where overtaking is extremely difficult.

The rules have changed this year, with wider cars and fatter tyres, and Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff described the Mercedes as a “bit of a diva” when it came to getting into the performance window.

“You can see that on his lap, the car drops in and drops out,” he said. “Unfortunately mostly out of it.”

Hamilton had said earlier in the week that he liked the challenge of a car that was difficult to drive and that he likened to a bull or bucking bronco.

“It’s the same kind of feeling when you get in this car. It’s not easy but it’s a challenge,” he had said. “There are cars in the past that have been beautiful to drive and have been a lot easier to set up. I like that this is a challenge.”

Source: Reuters.com

Loading...

Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F11 month ago

Hamilton and Mercedes clearly coming under pressure – J Verstappen

Max Verstappen’s father thinks the on-form Red Bull driver has rattled reigning five time world champion and 2019 championship leader...

2019 F11 month ago

20hp engine boost for Ferrari after summer break

Toto Wolff is forecasting a “very strong” performance by Ferrari after the summer break. Marca sports newspaper reports that the...

2019 F11 month ago

I’m not ready for Formula E – Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he is “not ready” to contemplate a switch to Formula E. It is strongly rumoured that if...

2019 F11 month ago

BREAKING: Albon to replace Gasly from Belgian GP

Toro Rosso’s speedy Alexander Albon will replace Pierre Gasly at Red Bull from the next race in Belgium, the F1...

2019 F11 month ago

Alonso says it is not true liking Vettel

Fernando Alonso says it is not true that he doesn’t like Sebastian Vettel. In Hungary, amid rumours the retired double...

2019 F11 month ago

F1 teams balk at expensive new regulations

F1 teams are pushing back on proposed new regulations — for reasons of cost. One idea that could be scrapped...

2019 F11 month ago

McLaren targets Sainz to beat Gasly in 2019

McLaren is targeting a coveted sixth place in the 2019 drivers’ world championship with Carlos Sainz. With Mercedes, Ferrari and...

2019 F11 month ago

F1 broadcaster fails to show Sainz in Hungary

Carlos Sainz was “the invisible man” during the recent Hungarian GP. In fact, well-known Spanish journalist Antonio Lobato claims that...

2019 F11 month ago

Marko confirms Verstappen staying at Red Bull-Honda for F1 2020

Red Bull motorsport head Dr Helmut Marko has confirmed that Max Verstappen is definitely staying at Red Bull-Honda in 2020....

2019 F11 month ago

Me and Russel are eating two different dishes – Kubica

Robert Kubica is yet to benefit from what seems to have been a clear step forward for Williams and George...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media