Connect with us

2018 F1

Button not ruling out a full-time return to F1

Published

on

Jenson Button is not ruling out a full-time return to formula one.

Last year, despite the F1 veteran inking a new two-year contract with McLaren, the Briton said the 2016 Abu Dhabi race would be his last in F1.

But he is making a one-off return in Monaco next weekend to replace Fernando Alonso, who is doing the Indy 500.

And now, the 37-year-old said he might come back full time in 2018.

“I can’t rule it out,” Button is quoted by the Sun.

“I have a contract with the team to race next year so I would definitely not rule anything out,” he added. Alonso’s contract runs out at the end of the year.

Button, however, said he would not actively push to do more races this year, as he went into 2017 planning to have “a break”.

“I had so many options to race this year it is hilarious,” he revealed.

“That even went into this year with two different teams asking me to race. I have no interest in doing that.”

As for his chances in Monaco, Button was criticised recently for not doing the Bahrain test to prepare, and now admits: “I don’t know what is going to happen.

“I don’t know if I am going to jump in the car that it feels so different that I won’t be competitive.”

Loading...

Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F12 weeks ago

Vettel ‘has no future at Ferrari anymore’ – Red Bull boss

Sebastian Vettel has “no future at Ferrari”, according to his former boss Dr Helmut Marko. Despite having arguably the fastest...

2019 F12 weeks ago

Leclerc girlfriend reveals Ferrari’s F1 star ended relationship with her

Charles Leclerc’s former girlfriend has revealed that the Ferrari driver “left me” in order to focus on his Formula 1...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Hamilton seizing advantage of Vettel DNF to seal Russian GP

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton took the advantages with the Russian Grand Prix victory after race leader Sebastian Vettel’s retirement. During...

2019 F13 weeks ago

McLaren split with Renault for Mercedes in 2021 F1

McLaren split with engine supplier Renault over a disagreement about Formula 1 strategy, according to Cyril Abiteboul. “It was apparent...

2019 F13 weeks ago

The manager says secrecy around Schumacher’s health is “difficult” to understand

News of the Seven time F1 world champion, Michael Schumacher being “out of a coma” went viral on June 2014,...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Mercedes no favourite at remaining races in 2019 – Hamilton

Mercedes will no longer be the favourite at any of the remaining races in 2019, according to Lewis Hamilton. Despite...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Renault F1 criticises FIA over penalty

Cyril Abiteboul has accused the FIA of being inconsistent about how it hands out penalties for sporting and technical infractions....

2019 F13 weeks ago

Ferrari ‘hungrier than Mercedes’ – Hamilton

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton criticised Mercedes after the Singapore GP. The Briton was not even on the podium on Sunday,...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Hamilton warns he could lose 2019 F1 title

Lewis Hamilton has warned Mercedes that he risks not winning the 2019 world championship. The Briton’s championship lead is actually...

2019 F11 month ago

Charles Leclerc is Ferrari’s “No: 1 driver” – JJ Lehto

Charles Leclerc is now Ferrari’s “number 1 driver”. That is the view of JJ Lehto, who was once the supporting...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media