Connect with us

F1 top news

Sauber poised for 2018 F1 Honda engine switch

Published

on

Sauber could be on the cusp of becoming the second Honda-powered team in F1.

The Swiss team’s Swedish driver Marcus Ericsson on Thursday said Sauber has been surprised by the disadvantage of using a year-old Ferrari power unit so far in 2017.

But team figures have ruled out a mid-season engine switch.

However, the big rumour in Bahrain is that talks are rapidly progressing with Honda about making the switch for 2018.

But contractually, Honda’s works engine partner McLaren can veto the Japanese marque’s moves to supply customer power to other teams.

“For years, Ron Dennis prevented Honda from working with another team,” a source close to Honda told Speed Week. “But Ron is no longer there.”

However, Sauber is denying that a decision to go with Honda for 2018 is imminent.

“We are negotiating with several manufacturers,” the Hinwil based team said.

A second team for struggling Honda would have several advantages, including doubling the feedback and data about its power unit.

Secondly, it is known that Honda is looking for a route into F1 for its junior drivers Nobuharu Matsushita and Tadasuke Makino.

A source told Speed Week: “There is no room for a Japanese in 2018. But if Tadasuke does a good F3 season, he will do Formula 2 in 2018 and in an ideal world be in F1 by 2019-2020.

“This would also fit with the timing with Pascal Wehrlein, who by 2019 will either go to Mercedes or be pushed to a Mercedes customer team like Williams.”

Loading...

Comments

Latest Results

Latest F1 News

2019 F117 hours ago

No more futuristic look for 2021 cars

F1 teams are apparently worried about the look of the proposed cars for 2021. Earlier, fans were generally happy with...

2019 F117 hours ago

F1 may become bookkeeping championship – Marko

Dr Helmut Marko says F1 risks becoming a “bookkeeping world championship”. While confirmation of the 2021 rules has been delayed...

2019 F117 hours ago

Alonso eyes winning car for 2020 F1 return

Fernando Alonso has admitted he could return to Formula 1 in 2020. The new back-to-back Le Mans winner will not...

2019 F12 days ago

Kubica not ruling out Williams exit

Robert Kubica is not ruling out a change of teams in Formula 1. The Pole has hinted that Williams is...

2019 F12 days ago

Pirelli CEO admits wanting Ferrari race wins

The CEO of Pirelli has hit back at suggestions the F1 tyre supplier is favouring Mercedes. Red Bull’s Dr Helmut...

2019 F12 days ago

Carey defends October delay for 2021 rules

Chase Carey has defended the decision to postpone the announcement of the rules for 2021. Some see the October delay...

2019 F12 days ago

Ferrari asks FIA for Vettel penalty review

Ferrari is pushing ahead with its request for a “review” of the penalty that cost Sebastian Vettel victory in Canada....

2019 F13 days ago

Vettel even stronger after Canada GP – Binotto

Mattia Binotto says Sebastian Vettel will “emerge even stronger” from the Canada GP penalty controversy. Last week, Ferrari dropped its...

2019 F13 days ago

Marko rules out MotoGP test for Verstappen

Dr Helmut Marko has ruled out a MotoGP test for Max Verstappen. Marko said recently that MotoGP supremo Carmelo Ezpeleta...

2019 F13 days ago

Ferrari concept change will take weeks

Mattia Binotto says it will take Ferrari “two or three upgrades” before the Italian team can take on Mercedes at...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media