Connect with us

F1 top news

Wehrlein fitness criticism ‘unfair’ – Kaltenborn

Published

on

Pascal Wehrlein’s crash saw him turn the car over and clear several barriers.

Monisha Kaltenborn has hit back at rumours there is definitely more to the story regarding Pascal Wehrlein’s supposed lack of fitness.

The young German missed Australia, is sitting out this weekend’s Chinese grand prix, and is also not guaranteed a return in Bahrain or beyond following his winter back injury.

The 22-year-old pulled out citing a simple lack of physical fitness, but it’s a story that has some eyebrows furrowed in the F1 paddock.

“If I felt such difficulties, I would try to overcome them,” said 18-year-old rookie Lance Stroll, “but I don’t want to comment on his situation.

“Maybe he has serious problems, but of course I hope not,” Stroll added.

Others fear that a serious political issue has arisen for Wehrlein, the Mercedes-backed driver who for now is being replaced by Antonio Giovinazzi, the reserve driver for Sauber’s engine partner Ferrari.

Asked if Wehrlein’s full-time seat is now on the line, Sauber team boss Monisha Kaltenborn told the German broadcaster RTL: “Of course not.”

Another recently mentioned possibility is that Wehrlein is not sufficiently motivated, with voluntarily stepping out the car perhaps indicative of his often controversial personality.

“This is all not true,” Kaltenborn insisted.

“The fact is that he had his (race of champions) accident in America, and his spine was compressed quite hard. And of course you don’t take these things lightly,” she added.

“Actually it surprised us that Pascal got the green light to drive so quickly afterwards, but the truth is that it simply takes a while for the body to recover.

“He simply has to catch up on the training deficit as a result from the injury,” said Kaltenborn.

Indeed, fellow driver Romain Grosjean said he sympathises with Wehrlein.

“While everyone else was working extensively, Pascal could not train,” said the Frenchman.

“If I got at the wheel of one of these cars in the form I was in last year, I would have had problems too,” Grosjean said. “And if I can’t drive the car properly, I don’t want to take risks and endanger myself and others.”

Kaltenborn continued: “It is not fair to question his (Wehrlein’s) motivation and I cannot understand how he is criticised for his decision.”

But for now, Wehrlein is on the sidelines, in doubt for Bahrain next weekend and with no guarantee that he will be back in action in Russia either.

“At the moment, he is completing an intensive training programme with the Mercedes junior team. After this weekend, we will get together and see where we stand,” said Kaltenborn.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2019 F113 hours ago

Ferrari F1 launch the SF90 for 2019 F1 season

The championship bidder Ferrari unveiled their 2019 F1 car, the SF90. In a launch event at the Ferrari HQ, the...

2019 F117 hours ago

Formula E boss not ruling out F1 merger

Alejandro Agag, the boss of Formula E, is not ruling out a “long term” merger with formula one. Once dismissed...

2019 F118 hours ago

F1 will not scrap Friday practice

F1 is not about to scrap Friday practice. That is the claim of Francois Dumontier, boss of the Canadian grand...

2019 F118 hours ago

Alonso is de-facto reserve driver – Brown

Fernando Alonso might be regarded as a de-facto “reserve driver” at McLaren this year. That is the news from team...

2019 F118 hours ago

Stroll aims to avoid war of words with Williams

Lance Stroll has hit back after his former boss accused him recently of arriving in F1 “too early”. Stroll, now...

2019 F118 hours ago

Lack of partner team no problem for Renault – Prost

Alain Prost says Renault is not missing out by not having a ‘junior’ partner team. Red Bull and Toro Rosso...

2019 F118 hours ago

New Alfa Romeo has revolutionary front wing

Sauber’s Alfa Romeo-branded new car for 2019 turned heads when it hit the Fiorano circuit for a shakedown on Thursday....

2019 F11 day ago

Kimi Raikkonen debuts 2019 Alfa Romeo Racing F1 car

Alfa Romeo Racing’s 2019 F1 car hits the track for the first time at Italy. These first images from Fiorano...

2019 F11 day ago

McLaren launches its 2019 F1 car MCL34

McLaren has launched its 2019 F1 car, the Renault-powered MCL34, at a launch event in team factory base at Woking....

2019 F12 days ago

He does not fear Daniel Ricciardo – Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he does not fear Daniel Ricciardo. The pair’s Renault boss, Cyril Abiteboul, says 31-year-old Hulkenberg is “enormously...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media