Connect with us

2017 F1

F1 on wrong path with 2017 rules shakeup – Designer

Published

on

F1 designer worried about 2017 rules shakeup

F1 designer worried about 2017 rules shakeup

A well-known F1 engineer is concerned the sport is setting off down the wrong path with its radical new rules for 2017.

On social media, Carlos Sainz posted a photo demonstrating that he has drastically bulked up muscle in preparation for the much faster cars set to race this year.

But Luca Furbatto – a former designer for McLaren, Toro Rosso and most recently Manor – is concerned that the 2017 rules might not actually be good for the show.

Firstly, he is worried that the top teams will pull away from the rest of the field.

“In particular,” he told Italian journalist Leo Turrini’s blog, “Mercedes and Red Bull always build a better chassis than rivals with more modest resources.”

And he thinks the new, bigger and wider Pirelli tyres, while increasing mechanical grip, will also favour the teams with the better aerodynamic resources.

“For the cars that generate higher downforce, their grip will be even higher, which will also affect the difference between teams even though everyone hoped that it would be the other way around,” he said.

As for the ‘power units’, Furbatto worries that the importance of the complex technology will continue to dominate in 2017 even though the emphasis appears to be shifting to aero.

“I don’t think we will see a change for the better,” said the Italian.

“Actually, I think it’s the opposite. A 2017 car will spend a higher percentage of the lap at full throttle, so the benefit for the teams with the most power will only increase.”

He said the extra power could also mean drivers have to conserve more fuel, while many commentators are concerned that faster cars and shorter braking zones could make overtaking harder.

“I don’t want to criticise the new regulations,” said Furbatto, “but I look at objective data and the results of calculations.

“As for entertainment, in my opinion this is not directly related to speed. At Mugello for example, a MotoGP is 25 seconds slower than a F1 car, but I cannot say that a MotoGP race is less spectacular.”

He said a better route for F1 might have been to follow the Le Mans direction, where designers have more freedom to design fundamentally different cars than their rivals.

So when predicting the likely pecking order in 2017, Furbatto said: “I expect victories to be disputed between Mercedes and Red Bull.

“Red Bull have always made an excellent chassis under the leadership of Adrian Newey, while the Mercedes car as a whole is very balanced with the best engine in the series.

“But I fully admit that we could see some surprises that could shake things up.”

As for Ferrari, Furbatto concluded: “I will refrain from making forecasts, but I do believe we will see some results from last year’s reshuffle in the leadership team.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F17 hours ago

Preview for the Belgium GP

On Sunday 26th August some of the best Forumla 1 racers in the world will take to the Belgium Spa...

2018 F11 day ago

Gasly to replace Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1

French speedy Pierre Gasly will replace the leaving Daniel Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1 season, the Formula 1...

2018 F11 day ago

Villeneuve urges Ferrari to retain Raikkonen

It was recently announced that Kimi Raikkonen will be spending another year at Ferrari, however, alongside Sebastian Vettel. It’s a...

2018 F15 days ago

McLaren confirms Sainz to replace Alonso in 2019 F1

McLaren Racing today confirms that Carlos Sainz will race for the team in Formula 1 from the 2019 FIA Formula...

2018 F11 week ago

Alonso will not race F1 in 2019

Marking 14th August as a day he would make an announcement on twitter, Fernando Alonso announced that he won’t be...

2018 F11 week ago

Ricciardo is not happy with Verstappen, It’s a risk – Massa

Felipe Massa says he can understand why Daniel Ricciardo decided to quit Red Bull. Ricciardo, one of F1’s top drivers,...

2018 F11 week ago

Stroll leads Force India rescue deal

Force India has been rescued by a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll, the billionaire father of Williams driver Lance Stroll....

2018 F12 weeks ago

Giovinazzi targeting 2019 Sauber race seat

Antonio Giovinazzi admits he has an eye on a Sauber seat for 2019. Ferrari’s other protege, Charles Leclerc, is linked...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Stroll should leave Williams now – Villeneuve

Jacques Villeneuve thinks Canadian countryman Lance Stroll should leave Williams immediately. Stroll’s billionaire father Lawrence is leading the consortium that...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Alonso could leave F1 for 2019 Indycar – McLaren boss

Zak Brown has admitted it is possible Fernando Alonso will leave McLaren and F1 for the Indycar series in 2019....




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media