Connect with us

F1 top news

Sauber will survive Audi’s Le Mans withdrawal

Published

on

Sauber will survive Audi's Le Mans withdrawal

Sauber will survive Audi’s Le Mans withdrawal

Sauber will survive Audi’s withdrawal from the world endurance championship including Le Mans.

That is the claim of Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, even though the German carmaker was a major client of the Swiss team’s state of the art wind tunnel.

But the report says that even though Audi is pulling out of Le Mans, it will continue to use Sauber’s Hinwil tunnel for its DTM and Audi programmes.

And the end of Audi’s exclusive agreement means Sauber can offer its tunnel to other customers as well.

Sauber almost collapsed financially this year, but after being rescued by Swiss investors, the team announced that it will use the 2016 Ferrari engine next year.

Boss Monisha Kaltenborn insists this was the engineers’ decision, allowing a team with a limited budget to focus early on the 2017 regulations.

But Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost isn’t sure Sauber’s decision is wise.

“I don’t know all the reasons and background story why Sauber decided to go with this year’s engine, but I wouldn’t like to be in this situation.

“It’s a big disadvantage on the performance side to run with last year’s engine,” he said, after Toro Rosso had to accept Ferrari’s 2015 unit this year.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F18 hours ago

Berger tips Mick Schumacher for Ferrari seat

F1 legend Gerhard Berger thinks Michael Schumacher’s son is on the road to a career at Ferrari. Currently, rumours are...

2018 F18 hours ago

Vettel no fan of electric cars

Sebastian Vettel says he is no fan of the trend towards electrically powered cars. The new Formula E season has...

2018 F19 hours ago

Canada GP not in danger – promoter

The future of the Canadian grand prix is not in danger. That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois...

2018 F19 hours ago

Team incidents hurt Ferrari in 2018 – boss

Maurizio Arrivabene thinks a series of incidents hurt Ferrari’s charge for the 2018 title. Some think the biggest problem with...

2018 F13 days ago

Ferrari to reveal 2019 car on February 15

Ferrari will reveal its 2019 challenger on February 15, team boss Maurizio Arrivabene said on Thursday. The Italian attended an...

2018 F14 days ago

F1 teams worried about Brexit crisis

F1 teams admit they are worried about the Brexit crisis that is occurring in Britain. After British people voted in...

2018 F14 days ago

‘I have mixed feelings’ about Kubica return – Vettel

Sebastian Vettel says he has “mixed feelings” about Robert Kubica’s return to formula one. Former grand prix winner Kubica, now...

2018 F14 days ago

Monza seeking EUR 100m for upgrade

Monza is looking for EUR 100 million to upgrade the Italian grand prix venue and secure a new grand prix...

2018 F15 days ago

Sirotkin to test DTM, Hartley to Porsche

Sergey Sirotkin could keep his motor racing career alive in the German touring car series DTM. SMP Racing, his Russian...

2018 F15 days ago

McLaren not ‘copying’ Red Bull car – Sainz

Carlos Sainz has played down claims McLaren is ‘copying’ Red Bull’s chassis concept for 2019. With Red Bull moving to...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media