Connect with us

2017 F1

No plans yet to retire from F1 – Alonso

Published

on

No plans yet to retire from F1: Alonso

No plans yet to retire from F1: Alonso

Double-time world champion Fernando Alonso doubts he will make it onto the F1 podium this season following also enduring his worst points tally last year, but has no immediate plans to retire Formula 1.

Alonso is currently 13th in the driver standings with 24 points, 168 behind the championship leader Lewis Hamilton. The Spaniard last year earned only 11 points, although he has already surpassed that this year, Alonso is sceptical about his chances of getting a first podium appearance since 2014 and since rejoining McLaren.

“Under normal circumstances, we do not deserve the podium yet. Spaniard told Cadena Cope radio

“Hopefully we will improve for next year, but this is formula one and anything can happen.”

Despite another scorching season and a huge crash in the Australian GP in March, Alonso said he had no plans to retire.

“My future in Formula One will not depend on this car. Even in these last two difficult years, I’ve been enjoying myself a lot,” added Alonso, who won the world drivers’ championship in 2005 and 2006.

“If the cars are as fun as they were in the past, I’ll have no problem continuing. I’m aware that I’ll never be 20-years-old again but I have more experience and more knowledge now.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2019 F119 hours ago

Ferrari F1 launch the SF90 for 2019 F1 season

The championship bidder Ferrari unveiled their 2019 F1 car, the SF90. In a launch event at the Ferrari HQ, the...

2019 F124 hours ago

Formula E boss not ruling out F1 merger

Alejandro Agag, the boss of Formula E, is not ruling out a “long term” merger with formula one. Once dismissed...

2019 F124 hours ago

F1 will not scrap Friday practice

F1 is not about to scrap Friday practice. That is the claim of Francois Dumontier, boss of the Canadian grand...

2019 F124 hours ago

Alonso is de-facto reserve driver – Brown

Fernando Alonso might be regarded as a de-facto “reserve driver” at McLaren this year. That is the news from team...

2019 F11 day ago

Stroll aims to avoid war of words with Williams

Lance Stroll has hit back after his former boss accused him recently of arriving in F1 “too early”. Stroll, now...

2019 F11 day ago

Lack of partner team no problem for Renault – Prost

Alain Prost says Renault is not missing out by not having a ‘junior’ partner team. Red Bull and Toro Rosso...

2019 F11 day ago

New Alfa Romeo has revolutionary front wing

Sauber’s Alfa Romeo-branded new car for 2019 turned heads when it hit the Fiorano circuit for a shakedown on Thursday....

2019 F12 days ago

Kimi Raikkonen debuts 2019 Alfa Romeo Racing F1 car

Alfa Romeo Racing’s 2019 F1 car hits the track for the first time at Italy. These first images from Fiorano...

2019 F12 days ago

McLaren launches its 2019 F1 car MCL34

McLaren has launched its 2019 F1 car, the Renault-powered MCL34, at a launch event in team factory base at Woking....

2019 F12 days ago

He does not fear Daniel Ricciardo – Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he does not fear Daniel Ricciardo. The pair’s Renault boss, Cyril Abiteboul, says 31-year-old Hulkenberg is “enormously...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media