Connect with us

F1 top news

Toto Wolff thinks F1 ‘over cautious’ on safety

Published

on

Toto Wolff thinks F1 'over cautious' on safety

Toto Wolff thinks F1 ‘over cautious’ on safety

Toto Wolff thinks F1 has become “a little over-cautious” in the wake of Jules Bianchi’s death.

After a stewards enquiry on Saturday, Nico Rosberg was able to keep his pole position although some rivals – including teammate Lewis Hamilton – questioned whether he had slowed sufficiently for a yellow flag.

“Nico only lost a tenth,” said the reigning world champion, while Daniel Ricciardo also complained that the Fernando Alonso spin cost him a shot at pole.

Hamilton added: “If that’s really what we are allowed to do in future it’s a different rule for all us drivers.”

Red Bull official Dr Helmut Marko called it a “farce” that despite setting his fastest overall sector in the yellow flag zone, Rosberg kept his pole.

But earlier in qualifying at the Hungaroring, it was the hour-long Q1 session that was capturing attention amid delays for rain and constant red-flag interruptions.

When asked if F1 is being too cautious in the name of safety, Ricciardo answered: “The only thing I feel is hungry. I had a light lunch and now I’m hungry.”

Mercedes chief Wolff, however, backed race director Charlie Whiting’s decision to be cautious on this occasion.

“There was too much water,” he said.

“But Silverstone was another case,” Speed Week quotes Wolff as saying. “I would have done a few laps behind the safety car then a normal start.

“But because of the Bianchi accident we are perhaps in some situations a little over-cautious at the moment,” he added.

Red Bull’s Dr Helmut Marko agrees, but thinks the sport is at least moving in the right direction with its switch to faster and more aggressive cars for 2017.

“Formula one fans need to say ‘That’s something I won’t do myself’. It got so popular because risk was a part of the sport.

“This safety that we have now is nonsense. And this idiocy with the Halo system will completely destroy formula one,” Marko told Bild am Sonntag newspaper.

“These tarmac run-off areas and the crazy idea with kerbs that smash suspension and now driving over the white line with one, two, three or four wheels — it has nothing to do with racing. So many things are wrong,” he insisted.

And when asked about certain world champions who argue about the importance of safety, Marko fired: “(Jenson) Button, who earns 10 million, should retire.

“Safety is all well and good, but it cannot be that skiing is more dangerous than formula one,” he added.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F14 weeks ago

Lauda announces 2019 grand prix return

Niki Lauda has allayed fears that he might not return to his post at the grands prix with Mercedes. In...

2018 F14 weeks ago

Sauber still building staff numbers – Vasseur

Sauber is still building up its staff numbers, boss Frederic Vasseur has revealed. The Swiss team almost collapsed two years...

2018 F14 weeks ago

Red Bull ‘will look to Verstappen’ in 2019 – Horner

Max Verstappen will have a more significant role at Red Bull next year. That is the view of Christian Horner,...

2018 F14 weeks ago

London could join Silverstone in F1 – Brawn

Ross Brawn says a grand prix in the centre of London would be “unacceptable”. But the F1 sporting chief thinks...

2018 F11 month ago

Kubica not offended by Vettel comments

Robert Kubica says he is not offended by comments made by quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel. Ferrari’s Vettel said that...

2018 F11 month ago

Verstappen happy with Ricciardo replacement

Max Verstappen says he is happy with Red Bull’s pick for his new teammate. The Dutchman says he cannot understand...

2018 F11 month ago

Renault to keep working over Christmas

Staff at Renault’s works F1 team will work throughout the Christmas and New Year period. That is the news from...

2018 F11 month ago

Force India to launch 2019 car in Canada

Force India has become the second F1 team to announce a reveal date for its 2019 car. Ferrari boss Maurizio...

2018 F11 month ago

“it was a difficult experience, but it made me stronger,”- Sirotkin

Sergey Sirotkin says his aim is to return to formula one in 2020. The Russian has been replaced at Williams...

2018 F11 month ago

McLaren success is ‘long term’ aim – Sainz

Carlos Sainz says McLaren is aiming for success only in the medium to long term. The Spaniard says he is...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media