Connect with us

2017 F1

Rumours link Wehrlein with Force India 2017 seat

Published

on

Rumours link Wehrlein with Force India seat

Rumours link Wehrlein with Force India seat

Rumours are linking Pascal Wehrlein with a potential move to Force India for 2017.

In Austria, after the rookie German qualified his Manor in 12th place and then secured an ultra-rare point for the backmarker team, Toto Wolff said any lingering doubts that Wehrlein is “very special” had been erased.

Wolff, the Mercedes chief, had negotiated the reigning DTM champion’s Manor seat for 2016 and now the 21-year-old German says he wants more.

“It is not my ambition to drive around at the back,” he is quoted by Laola1.

But he suggested that connecting the dots of his good performance in Austria and a step into a higher Mercedes-powered team for 2017 would be premature.

“The most important thing is for me to learn and for the team to stay in front of Sauber,” said Wehrlein.

Still, his future looks bright, and there may be some interesting options for 2017.

Force India’s Sergio Perez could vacate his seat and go to Ferrari, while Nico Rosberg is yet to sign on the dotted line of a new Mercedes contract beyond 2016.

“You’re only as good as your last races,” said Wehrlein. “So I have to prove myself here first and hopefully in the future I will get the opportunity to drive for Mercedes.

“It would be wrong at this point in the year to be thinking about changing teams. Mercedes will do any talks for me but at the moment there is still so much to do,” he added.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F19 hours ago

Preview for the Belgium GP

On Sunday 26th August some of the best Forumla 1 racers in the world will take to the Belgium Spa...

2018 F11 day ago

Gasly to replace Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1

French speedy Pierre Gasly will replace the leaving Daniel Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1 season, the Formula 1...

2018 F11 day ago

Villeneuve urges Ferrari to retain Raikkonen

It was recently announced that Kimi Raikkonen will be spending another year at Ferrari, however, alongside Sebastian Vettel. It’s a...

2018 F15 days ago

McLaren confirms Sainz to replace Alonso in 2019 F1

McLaren Racing today confirms that Carlos Sainz will race for the team in Formula 1 from the 2019 FIA Formula...

2018 F11 week ago

Alonso will not race F1 in 2019

Marking 14th August as a day he would make an announcement on twitter, Fernando Alonso announced that he won’t be...

2018 F11 week ago

Ricciardo is not happy with Verstappen, It’s a risk – Massa

Felipe Massa says he can understand why Daniel Ricciardo decided to quit Red Bull. Ricciardo, one of F1’s top drivers,...

2018 F11 week ago

Stroll leads Force India rescue deal

Force India has been rescued by a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll, the billionaire father of Williams driver Lance Stroll....

2018 F12 weeks ago

Giovinazzi targeting 2019 Sauber race seat

Antonio Giovinazzi admits he has an eye on a Sauber seat for 2019. Ferrari’s other protege, Charles Leclerc, is linked...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Stroll should leave Williams now – Villeneuve

Jacques Villeneuve thinks Canadian countryman Lance Stroll should leave Williams immediately. Stroll’s billionaire father Lawrence is leading the consortium that...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Alonso could leave F1 for 2019 Indycar – McLaren boss

Zak Brown has admitted it is possible Fernando Alonso will leave McLaren and F1 for the Indycar series in 2019....




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media