Connect with us

F1 top news

Legal action ‘wrong path’ for Bianchi family – Stewart

Published

on

Legal action 'wrong path' for Bianchi family - Stewart

Legal action ‘wrong path’ for Bianchi family – Stewart

Formula 1 legend Sir Jackie Stewart has questioned the Bianchi family’s decision to sue the sport over the death of their son.

25-year-old Jules Bianchi died last year as a result of his horror crash in a wet gravel trap in fading light at Suzuka late in 2014.

Headed by his father Philippe, the family on Thursday announced its decision to sue Marussia, Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA over the death.

Philippe told Radio Monte Carlo on Thursday that the decision was made because the family never received adequate “answers” about the controversial circumstances of the crash.

“We realised ourselves that errors were made,” he said.

“Some have been recognised in part because of (rule) changes that were made,” Mr Bianchi added, “but we cannot be content with the internal report of the FIA that said Jules was responsible for going too fast.

“We cannot live like this. This tragedy has destroyed our family, so why should we accept to hear that it was his (Jules’) fault when the conditions were difficult?

“The accident was completely avoidable and so we want to do it for the other drivers today as well,” he revealed.

Mr Bianchi suggested the FIA should have done more than just conduct and publish an internal investigation and report.

“If one day I cause someone’s death, I could not launch an internal commission with friends and say ‘It was not my fault’. Justice must be done so that when you make a mistake, you pay,” he insisted.

But F1 legend Jackie Stewart, a pioneer of better safety in the sport, thinks a better strategy for Bianchi’s family would be to move on.

“It is very sad for his family and one can only feel great sympathy for them, but I do not think taking legal action is the right path to go down,” he told The Times.

“The distress they feel will be drawn out longer. It will not make the pain go away.”

Not only that, triple world champion Stewart added: “All drivers know there are risks. This is not ping pong.

“There is always the chance of a freak accident, and that has to be accepted.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F12 days ago

Ricciardo is not happy with Verstappen, It’s a risk – Massa

Felipe Massa says he can understand why Daniel Ricciardo decided to quit Red Bull. Ricciardo, one of F1’s top drivers,...

2018 F13 days ago

Stroll leads Force India rescue deal

Force India has been rescued by a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll, the billionaire father of Williams driver Lance Stroll....

2018 F15 days ago

Giovinazzi targeting 2019 Sauber race seat

Antonio Giovinazzi admits he has an eye on a Sauber seat for 2019. Ferrari’s other protege, Charles Leclerc, is linked...

2018 F15 days ago

Stroll should leave Williams now – Villeneuve

Jacques Villeneuve thinks Canadian countryman Lance Stroll should leave Williams immediately. Stroll’s billionaire father Lawrence is leading the consortium that...

2018 F11 week ago

Alonso could leave F1 for 2019 Indycar – McLaren boss

Zak Brown has admitted it is possible Fernando Alonso will leave McLaren and F1 for the Indycar series in 2019....

2018 F11 week ago

World to leave Michael Schumacher ‘in peace’ – Todt

Jean Todt has called for the world to leave F1 legend Michael Schumacher “in peace”. The condition of the seven...

2018 F11 week ago

Niki Lauda on road to recovery after lung transplant and coma

Niki Lauda looks to be on the road to recovery. The F1 world was in shock last week when it...

2018 F11 week ago

Villeneuve plays down ‘Hamilton-Jesus Christ’ comparison

Jacques Villeneuve has played down quotes that suggested he thinks Lewis Hamilton behaves like Jesus Christ. The quotes spread like...

2018 F11 week ago

Too early to assess F1 2019 wing – Kubica

Robert Kubica says it’s too early to assess the effectiveness of the new front wings for 2019. Several teams, including...

2018 F11 week ago

Norris waiting on Alonso’s decision for 2019 F1

Lando Norris says it is up to McLaren to decide if he will make his F1 debut in 2019. The...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media