Connect with us

Bernie Ecclestone

Susie Wolff defends Ecclestone amid sexism charge

Published

on

Susie Wolff defends Ecclestone amid sexism charge

Susie Wolff defends Ecclestone amid sexism charge

Susie Wolff, F1’s most successful female driver of recent times, has defended Bernie Ecclestone amid accusations of sexism.

F1 supremo Ecclestone, 85, caused an international media furore last week when he said: “I don’t know whether a woman would physically be able to drive an F1 car quickly, and they wouldn’t be taken seriously.”

Counting herself out of the backlash, however, was Susie Wolff, who stepped down as Williams’ test and occasional Friday driver at the end of last year in order to start a campaign to get more women involved in motor racing.

“After hearing Bernie’s comments in context and speaking to him today, it’s clear we both have the goal of getting a female driver to F1,” Wolff said on Twitter.

Indeed, Ecclestone had also said last week that he is willing to personally support a female team and driver in F1.

“I would say ‘Great’,” he said. “And I tell you what I would do: I would put in another 20 million (pounds).”

Wolff continued: “Through my years in motor sport, he was supportive of my mission to make it onto the starting grid in F1.

“Last week, he agreed to come on board with (the campaign) Dare To Be Different and support the next generation of girls aiming for the top, on and off the track.

“For me,” Susie added, “actions always speak louder than words.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F142 mins ago

Vettel misses Schumacher amid 2018 F1 struggle

Sebastian Vettel thinks he would benefit from the advice of his old friend and mentor Michael Schumacher. One analysis of...

2018 F11 day ago

Verstappen says Red Bull never considered deal with Alonso

Max Verstappen says Red Bull never considered signing up Fernando Alonso for 2019. That is despite the fact that, recently,...

2018 F11 day ago

Honda poised to overtake Renault for power

Honda could be poised to overtake Renault and cease having the least powerful engine in F1. Auto Motor und Sport...

2018 F13 days ago

Pascal Wehrlein on pole for 2019 Toro Rosso race seat

Pascal Wehrlein has emerged as a top candidate to return to F1 next year. Just days ago, Mercedes admitted that...

2018 F13 days ago

I’ll be with Force India until the end of 2018 – Ocon

Esteban Ocon says he should keep his Force India cockpit for the rest of the 2018 season. Earlier, there was...

2018 F13 days ago

FIA clears legality of Ferrari’s camera-blocking ‘fan’

F1’s governing body has cleared Ferrari to keep using a controversial airbox fan. In the Singapore pits, the Italian team...

2018 F14 days ago

Ricciardo is worth top dollar – Alain Prost

Paying the big bucks for Daniel Ricciardo is an expense that Renault can fully justify. That is the view of...

2018 F14 days ago

Vettel feeling pressure of 2018 F1 title battle – Red Bull

Sebastian Vettel often struggles with pressure. That is the view of Adrian Newey, Red Bull’s famous technical boss who penned...

2018 F14 days ago

Red Bull excluding Ricciardo from meetings

Daniel Ricciardo is set to be given the cold shoulder by Red Bull. The Australian is moving from the energy...

2018 F14 days ago

Recovering Lauda ‘a lot better’ now – brother

Niki Lauda’s brother says the F1 legend is “a lot better” as he recovers from a lung transplant. The F1...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media