Connect with us

2016 F1

Finally FIA confirms return to F1 2015 qualifying format

Published

on

Finally FIA confirms return to F1 2015 qualifying format

Finally FIA confirms return to F1 2015 qualifying format

Formula One is set to revert to the 2015 qualifying format from the Chinese Grand Prix following the governing body FIA and Bernie Ecclestone agreed to a request from F1 teams, Sky Sports revealed.

The revert follows the decision of the teams to write to FIA president Jean Todt and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone urging a return to last year’s format following they rejected a proposal to introduce an aggregate laps system.

Recently F1 teams bosses write letter urging 2015 qualifying return

Formula 1 team bosses on Thursday pleaded with authorities to revert to last year’s successful format.

With the ‘musical chairs’ system slammed on all sides after Australia and Bahrain, the teams made clear their desire to scrap it but the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone have ruled out simply going back to the 2015 format.

The teams have instead been asked for their input on a brand new system for China and beyond, where two laps per driver in the Q1, Q2 and Q3 segments would be aggregated.

But ahead of the vote on Thursday, it emerged that the eleven team bosses have signed a letter addressed to Ecclestone, his paymasters at CVC and FIA president Jean Todt, urging them to revert to the 2015 format.

The BBC said the bosses claim aggregate qualifying would only add more “complexity”.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F17 hours ago

Berger sees F1 chance for nephew Auer

is hoping his nephew may have a future in formula one. One the one hand, the F1 legend said he...

2018 F17 hours ago

Hamilton teammate Bottas ‘is not there’ – Verstappen

Max Verstappen has admitted he will try to emulate Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes’ approach to winning the world championship. The...

2018 F17 hours ago

Mexico GP future in doubt

A cloud has moved above the future of the highly popular Mexican grand prix. The rejuvenated race at the iconic...

2018 F17 hours ago

“I did not lose confidence in myself at any time,” – Carlos Sainz

Carlos Sainz says he will do his best to “lead” McLaren from the cockpit in 2019. The Spaniard is moving...

2018 F11 day ago

Sirotkin, Wehrlein eye Ferrari role for 2019

Two drivers may be eyeing Daniil Kvyat’s job at Ferrari for 2019. This year, Russian Kvyat was a Ferrari development...

2018 F11 day ago

“I just wanted to make it better,”- Verstappen

Max Verstappen has revealed that he is prepared to be patient with Honda in 2019. Especially in 2018 as the...

2018 F11 day ago

Gasly ‘not afraid’ of Verstappen

Pierre Gasly says he is not worried about pairing up with Max Verstappen at Red Bull next year. Gasly replaces...

2018 F11 day ago

Vettel says new teammate Leclerc ‘a good guy’

Sebastian Vettel insists he is not worried about getting a new Ferrari teammate for 2019. The German has lost his...

2018 F11 day ago

Mercedes’ Wolff eyes Mick Schumacher

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has expressed interest in signing up Mick Schumacher. Schumacher, the son of F1 great Michael and...

2018 F14 days ago

Sirotkin sponsor wanted discount for 2019

Sergey Sirotkin should not be too disappointed that his F1 career is over. That is the view of Mika Salo,...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media