Connect with us

F1 top news

Vettel slams ‘s***’ new proposed qualifying format

Published

on

Vettel slams ‘s***’ new proposed qualifying format

Vettel slams ‘s***’ new proposed qualifying format

Introduced last month in opening grand prix at Australia, the new qualifying format has drawn criticism from fans, teams and drivers.

Formula 1 team heads have been told to mull over an all-new ‘aggregate’ format for qualifying, following reverting to the 2015 F1 system was ruled out by the sport’s authorities on Sunday.

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has given unfavourable expression to the new proposed aggregate qualifying system, labelling the idea “s***”.

FIA president Jean Todt said as he emerged from Sunday’s meeting in Bahrain that the F1 world will need to be “patient” until the details emerge next week.

But authoritative sources, including Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport and British television Sky, report that the new system will involve drivers’ 2 best times being aggregated as they progress through the three segments of qualifying.

Displeased Vettel is already not a fan, telling Sky Sports News HQ: “It’s time to go to the circus.

“It’s a good idea if you want random things to happen, but Formula 1 should be about racing. It’s a s*** idea.”

Red Bull ace Daniel Ricciardo echoed his negative expression –“Qualifying is about that one perfect lap,” he said.

“To have an aggregate, it starts to sound more like some form of endurance racing. I wouldn’t be too keen on that.”

McLaren-Honda’s Jenson Button says “anything is better” than Formula 1’s current elimination-style qualifying format, as a new aggregate system is investigated.

“If it’s an aggregate system, I’ll give it a go,” Button told Sky Sports.

“That’s all you can say. It’s better than this one. Anything is better than this one.

“Drivers driving around with one eye closed would be better than this one.

“I look forward to change, and that’s what’s hopefully coming.”

Asked if aggregate times are a kick in the stomach for F1 purists, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said: “I think the kick is even lower than that.”

Williams, meanwhile, said of the newly-proposed idea: “It is quite a well thought through proposal that the FIA have come up with and hopefully it will be a solution that will work for everybody, and that will be be easy for our fans to understand”.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F120 hours ago

Gasly to replace Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1

French speedy Pierre Gasly will replace the leaving Daniel Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1 season, the Formula 1...

2018 F121 hours ago

Villeneuve urges Ferrari to retain Raikkonen

It was recently announced that Kimi Raikkonen will be spending another year at Ferrari, however, alongside Sebastian Vettel. It’s a...

2018 F15 days ago

McLaren confirms Sainz to replace Alonso in 2019 F1

McLaren Racing today confirms that Carlos Sainz will race for the team in Formula 1 from the 2019 FIA Formula...

2018 F17 days ago

Alonso will not race F1 in 2019

Marking 14th August as a day he would make an announcement on twitter, Fernando Alonso announced that he won’t be...

2018 F11 week ago

Ricciardo is not happy with Verstappen, It’s a risk – Massa

Felipe Massa says he can understand why Daniel Ricciardo decided to quit Red Bull. Ricciardo, one of F1’s top drivers,...

2018 F11 week ago

Stroll leads Force India rescue deal

Force India has been rescued by a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll, the billionaire father of Williams driver Lance Stroll....

2018 F12 weeks ago

Giovinazzi targeting 2019 Sauber race seat

Antonio Giovinazzi admits he has an eye on a Sauber seat for 2019. Ferrari’s other protege, Charles Leclerc, is linked...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Stroll should leave Williams now – Villeneuve

Jacques Villeneuve thinks Canadian countryman Lance Stroll should leave Williams immediately. Stroll’s billionaire father Lawrence is leading the consortium that...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Alonso could leave F1 for 2019 Indycar – McLaren boss

Zak Brown has admitted it is possible Fernando Alonso will leave McLaren and F1 for the Indycar series in 2019....

2018 F12 weeks ago

World to leave Michael Schumacher ‘in peace’ – Todt

Jean Todt has called for the world to leave F1 legend Michael Schumacher “in peace”. The condition of the seven...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media