Connect with us

Bahrain GP

Unfair to criticise Button – Alonso

Published

on

Fernando Alonso says Jenson Button criticism 'not fair'

Fernando Alonso says Jenson Button criticism ‘not fair’ [Picture credit: McLaren Honda]

Double world champion, Fernando Alonso says he is “99 per cent” sure he will be back at the cockpit of his McLaren in China.

Sidelined with chest injuries in Bahrain, the Spaniard angrily rejected the advice of pundit Johnny Herbert to seize the opportunity and hang up his helmet for good.

Asked if he was surprised by former driver Herbert’s comments, Alonso told Marca sports newspaper: “A little bit. I was surprised by the aggressiveness towards me.

“He (Herbert) had the luck that he was recording live when I arrived (at the circuit) in the morning,” said Alonso, referring to his gatecrashing of British television Sky to confront the 51-year-old former Sauber driver.

Alonso had told Herbert that he has no intention of retiring.

“Better, better every day,” he told Marca when asked how his ribs are now.

The 34-year-old said there are good signs that McLaren-Honda is finally beginning to make strides up the grid.

“Well, the performance (in Bahrain) on a circuit that does not help us with long straights shows that we are taking steps forward,” said Alonso, “and I think that we will continue to improve throughout the year.”

Alonso, accompanied to Bahrain by his sister and doctor Lorena, stayed in the island Kingdom throughout the race weekend to advise his replacement, Stoffel Vandoorne.

“No,” Alonso smiled, “I had little to do. He did a very good job.”

In fact, reigning GP2 champion and Belgian Vandoorne had an extremely good F1 debut in Alonso’s car, outqualifying the vastly more experienced Jenson Button and scoring McLaren’s first point of the season.

But Alonso says any criticism of Button as a result is unfair.

“It is unfair,” he said. “Jenson was faster all weekend and had a sudden drop in performance in qualifying. Stoffel did well but it is unfair to criticise Jenson.”

One of Herbert’s strongest points of criticism is that Button, who is expected to fight to keep his place at McLaren for 2017, has actually outperformed Alonso at McLaren-Honda so far.

Asked if that is a legitimate criticism, Alonso answered: “No. Last year was like a lottery with the car breaking down. It was impossible to measure anything with that car.”

As for the claim he is struggling with motivation, the Spaniard added: “Here I am at this grand prix with a broken rib wanting to climb in the car and helping the team. I don’t know what more motivation I could have.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F12 days ago

F1 has ‘other options’ to British GP – Carey

Chase Carey has admitted a cloud still hangs over the future of the British grand prix. Last year, Silverstone’s owner,...

2018 F12 days ago

Carey admits no ‘new engine’ for 2021

Chase Carey has admitted F1’s engines will not change significantly for 2021. Earlier, Liberty Media wanted drastically different engines compared...

2018 F12 days ago

Lewis Hamilton says he is not interested in Formula E

Lewis Hamilton says he is not interested in Formula E because of the lack of petrol power, sound and speed....

2018 F12 days ago

Carey defends ending F1 betting sponsorship ban

Chase Carey has defended F1’s move into the world of gambling. For four decades, former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone did...

2018 F13 days ago

Brazil ramps up efforts to keep grand prix

Organisers of the Brazilian grand prix have ramped up efforts to keep Interlagos on the F1 calendar. The contract expires...

2018 F13 days ago

Marchionne death hurt Ferrari morale – Tronchetti Provera

Ferrari is “very close” to its goal of bringing the title back to Maranello after more than a decade. That...

2018 F13 days ago

Verstappen would ‘kick psychologist out’

Max Verstappen says he regrets nothing about shoving Esteban Ocon after Sunday’s Brazilian grand prix. The Dutchman will do two...

2018 F14 days ago

Miami GP plans still not dead – Carey

Chase Carey insists that plans for a grand prix in Miami have not been scrapped. In late September, the Miami...

2018 F14 days ago

‘Only goal’ is sports car title – Alonso

Fernando Alonso says his “only goal” for now is winning the world endurance championship. The Spaniard is retiring from F1...

2018 F14 days ago

Vettel not worried about incoming Leclerc

Sebastian Vettel says he is not worried about the ambitions of his new Ferrari teammate for 2019. German Vettel has...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media