Connect with us

Bahrain GP

Rivals surprised after Alonso sidelined

Published

on

Rivals surprised after Alonso sidelined

Rivals surprised after Alonso sidelined

Fernando Alonso’s rivals were surprised on Thursday when it emerged the Spaniard had been sidelined in Bahrain for medical reasons.

“I said ‘Wow’,” admitted fellow F1 veteran Jenson Button.

Alonso’s countryman and friend Carlos Sainz added: “I knew he was not 100 per cent, but I did not expect that he would not race. I think it was a surprise for everyone.”

Esteban Gutierrez, who was involved in Alonso’s high-speed crash in Melbourne, agreed: “I was with him after the accident and happy that everything with his health was ok.

“Then I heard on Monday that he was not 100pc but I’m sure he will recover soon.”

However, just as there was scepticism amid Alonso’s mysterious winter testing crash early last year, that same sort of speculation is now doing the rounds again.

Gary Hartstein, the former F1 doctor, said on Twitter that “rib fractures do not require CT scans to diagnose”.

And while Spain’s AS newspaper said the condition and Alonso’s Melbourne crash are not related, the McLaren driver reportedly suffers from something called ‘Poland syndrome’ as he has underdeveloped chest muscles on one side.

There is also the lingering story about Alonso’s official merchandise being still unavailable on the McLaren website.

Alonso, however, is hoping to be fit by China in two weeks, but until then will be replaced by team reserve and reigning GP2 champion Stoffel Vandoorne.

However, the Belgian was in Japan for a Super Formula test when he got the urgent call-up from boss Eric Boullier on Thursday.

“I hope he gets some sleep on the plane!” said his new teammate Button.

“But he’s an experienced driver, he’s been here (in Bahrain) several times and won in GP2 last year,” the Briton added, “and he also knows the car from the simulator and the way we work as a team.”

24-year-old rookie Vandoorne’s McLaren predecessor, Kevin Magnussen, also backed the Belgian to get up to speed quickly.

“I think he will be on Jenson’s level straight away,” said the Dane. “The McLaren simulator is great and it was good enough for me in my first race so I don’t think it’s a problem for him.

“He is definitely ready but it will be a little annoying for him to know that after one or two races he will have to get out of the car again, so he will need to do everything possible in this opportunity,” Magnussen added.

Loading...

Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F11 month ago

Hamilton and Mercedes clearly coming under pressure – J Verstappen

Max Verstappen’s father thinks the on-form Red Bull driver has rattled reigning five time world champion and 2019 championship leader...

2019 F11 month ago

20hp engine boost for Ferrari after summer break

Toto Wolff is forecasting a “very strong” performance by Ferrari after the summer break. Marca sports newspaper reports that the...

2019 F11 month ago

I’m not ready for Formula E – Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he is “not ready” to contemplate a switch to Formula E. It is strongly rumoured that if...

2019 F11 month ago

BREAKING: Albon to replace Gasly from Belgian GP

Toro Rosso’s speedy Alexander Albon will replace Pierre Gasly at Red Bull from the next race in Belgium, the F1...

2019 F11 month ago

Alonso says it is not true liking Vettel

Fernando Alonso says it is not true that he doesn’t like Sebastian Vettel. In Hungary, amid rumours the retired double...

2019 F12 months ago

F1 teams balk at expensive new regulations

F1 teams are pushing back on proposed new regulations — for reasons of cost. One idea that could be scrapped...

2019 F12 months ago

McLaren targets Sainz to beat Gasly in 2019

McLaren is targeting a coveted sixth place in the 2019 drivers’ world championship with Carlos Sainz. With Mercedes, Ferrari and...

2019 F12 months ago

F1 broadcaster fails to show Sainz in Hungary

Carlos Sainz was “the invisible man” during the recent Hungarian GP. In fact, well-known Spanish journalist Antonio Lobato claims that...

2019 F12 months ago

Marko confirms Verstappen staying at Red Bull-Honda for F1 2020

Red Bull motorsport head Dr Helmut Marko has confirmed that Max Verstappen is definitely staying at Red Bull-Honda in 2020....

2019 F12 months ago

Me and Russel are eating two different dishes – Kubica

Robert Kubica is yet to benefit from what seems to have been a clear step forward for Williams and George...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media