Connect with us

2016 F1

McLaren on schedule, but Honda ‘not yet’ – Boullier

Published

on

McLaren on schedule, but Honda 'not yet' - Boullier

2016 Formula 1 McLaren on schedule, but Honda ‘not yet’ – Boullier

Honda is running behind schedule so far in 2016, McLaren team boss Eric Boullier revealed on Wednesday.

After the disaster of 2015, Boullier seems happy with the management change at Honda, although the impending arrival at McLaren of Jost Capito might be reason for him to be nervous.

“I did not hire him,” Boullier told Auto Motor und Sport, “so you would have to ask Ron Dennis.

“But his experience will help the McLaren Group, of which McLaren Racing is only a part. He has experience with major manufacturers, which can be helpful in the relationship with Honda,” he added.

Indeed, in the paddock, almost no one questions whether McLaren can still make fast racing cars.

When asked about the new MP4-31, Boullier says: “From the McLaren side we are on schedule. For the engine, not yet. But at Honda there are good signs of progress.

“We could at least start to develop the car in the second week of testing, which was not possible last year,” he added.

But the most pressing question is whether Honda can start to make big progress this year.

“The car is not yet where we want it,” Boullier admits. “The engine has not yet reached the numbers that were planned for 2016.”

Fernando Alonso, however, is sounding notably upbeat, predicting podiums later this season. “I think that should be possible,” Boullier concurs.

He says more power – “30 horse power” – is coming for Melbourne through software, while Honda has an aggressive plan for deploying its ‘tokens’.

“I’m not saying we will beat Mercedes,” said Boullier, “but we can improve massively.”

And he agrees with Alonso that McLaren can truly aspire to having the very best chassis on the grid this year, perhaps by the European race season.

“So far we have kept all that we have promised him,” said Boullier, referring to the reasons for Alonso’s optimism.

“He looks at the simulation, what we are planning, and that they are now completely transferrable to the track.”

It has been suggested, however, that Alonso’s lofty optimism and setting of clear targets for 2016 is a sort of ultimatum to the McLaren-Honda project, amid rumours he might not continue to wait for progress.

Asked if the Spaniard is a ticking bomb, Boullier responded: “(There is) no additional pressure. We want to win, not just Fernando. McLaren must win.

“If Honda can reach a certain level this year and we have one of the best cars in the field, Fernando will have fun again,” he added.

“I was hired by McLaren to ensure that we put the best car on the circuit. The car is my responsibility. For the engine, I cannot (promise).”

Loading...

Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F12 weeks ago

Vettel ‘has no future at Ferrari anymore’ – Red Bull boss

Sebastian Vettel has “no future at Ferrari”, according to his former boss Dr Helmut Marko. Despite having arguably the fastest...

2019 F12 weeks ago

Leclerc girlfriend reveals Ferrari’s F1 star ended relationship with her

Charles Leclerc’s former girlfriend has revealed that the Ferrari driver “left me” in order to focus on his Formula 1...

2019 F12 weeks ago

Hamilton seizing advantage of Vettel DNF to seal Russian GP

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton took the advantages with the Russian Grand Prix victory after race leader Sebastian Vettel’s retirement. During...

2019 F12 weeks ago

McLaren split with Renault for Mercedes in 2021 F1

McLaren split with engine supplier Renault over a disagreement about Formula 1 strategy, according to Cyril Abiteboul. “It was apparent...

2019 F13 weeks ago

The manager says secrecy around Schumacher’s health is “difficult” to understand

News of the Seven time F1 world champion, Michael Schumacher being “out of a coma” went viral on June 2014,...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Mercedes no favourite at remaining races in 2019 – Hamilton

Mercedes will no longer be the favourite at any of the remaining races in 2019, according to Lewis Hamilton. Despite...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Renault F1 criticises FIA over penalty

Cyril Abiteboul has accused the FIA of being inconsistent about how it hands out penalties for sporting and technical infractions....

2019 F13 weeks ago

Ferrari ‘hungrier than Mercedes’ – Hamilton

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton criticised Mercedes after the Singapore GP. The Briton was not even on the podium on Sunday,...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Hamilton warns he could lose 2019 F1 title

Lewis Hamilton has warned Mercedes that he risks not winning the 2019 world championship. The Briton’s championship lead is actually...

2019 F11 month ago

Charles Leclerc is Ferrari’s “No: 1 driver” – JJ Lehto

Charles Leclerc is now Ferrari’s “number 1 driver”. That is the view of JJ Lehto, who was once the supporting...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media