Connect with us

F1 top news

Renault: Red Bull era ‘was going nowhere’

Published

on

Renault: Red Bull era 'was going nowhere'

Renault: Red Bull era ‘was going nowhere’

Renault concluded last year that returning to winning ways in collaboration with Red Bull would not be possible.

That is the admission of Cyril Abiteboul, the French marque’s F1 managing director, as Renault now prepares for the 2016 season after buying back Lotus.

For 2016, however, the Enstone team actually designed its ‘Lotus’ car for a Mercedes rather than a Renault power unit, so Abiteboul admitted to F1 Racing magazine that the new works team is having to be “humble”.

Senior engineer Alan Permane confirmed: “The car is not going to be where we want it to be, but we will quickly overcome those problems.

“This year is about building our relationships back up. With the new rules for 2017, that’s when we need to start making ourselves much more competitive,” he added.

According to Abiteboul, going through the process of rebuilding a full works team rather than trying to resurrect the old Red Bull days was the only option.

Amid the worsening relations with Red Bull last year, the Frenchman said it became “obvious” that Renault was “going nowhere” with the energy drink brand.

“So we tried to move Renault-Red Bull away from that model,” said Abiteboul.

“With modern regulations, it is very difficult to be a successful engine supplier if you cannot control the full package, because you need to have a more holistic approach to the car”, he said.

“The frustration when you are in a customer-supplier model with anyone – but in particular Red Bull – was that Red Bull were investing a fortune in the chassis at a time when the regulations were dictating that we had to invest much more massively in engine technology to drive performance and sporting results,” said Abiteboul.

The result, he said, was the realisation that success required a full works team and a bigger budget.

“The first thing is that we will have the luxury of more manoeuvrability in the budget,” said Abiteboul. “We have more than double, not quite triple, the overall budget we had before.

“And you can expect to see quite a lot of changes to the organisation and new roles created to bridge in a better way what we do on the chassis and engine sides.”

Renault will reveal its full plans for the 2016 season at an event in Paris on February 3.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F17 hours ago

Sirotkin, Wehrlein eye Ferrari role for 2019

Two drivers may be eyeing Daniil Kvyat’s job at Ferrari for 2019. This year, Russian Kvyat was a Ferrari development...

2018 F17 hours ago

“I just wanted to make it better,”- Verstappen

Max Verstappen has revealed that he is prepared to be patient with Honda in 2019. Especially in 2018 as the...

2018 F17 hours ago

Gasly ‘not afraid’ of Verstappen

Pierre Gasly says he is not worried about pairing up with Max Verstappen at Red Bull next year. Gasly replaces...

2018 F17 hours ago

Vettel says new teammate Leclerc ‘a good guy’

Sebastian Vettel insists he is not worried about getting a new Ferrari teammate for 2019. The German has lost his...

2018 F17 hours ago

Mercedes’ Wolff eyes Mick Schumacher

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has expressed interest in signing up Mick Schumacher. Schumacher, the son of F1 great Michael and...

2018 F13 days ago

Sirotkin sponsor wanted discount for 2019

Sergey Sirotkin should not be too disappointed that his F1 career is over. That is the view of Mika Salo,...

2018 F13 days ago

Hartley thought he had ‘long term contract’

His F1 adventure may be over for now, but Brendon Hartley says his motor racing career is still very much...

2018 F14 days ago

No ‘off season’ for axed F1 driver Vandoorne

There will be no winter ‘off season’ for one 2018 F1 driver. Dropped by McLaren, Stoffel Vandoorne has been snapped...

2018 F14 days ago

Super Formula ‘good training ground for F1’ – Marko

Japan’s Super Formula is now a “good training ground” for Red Bull’s future F1 drivers. That is the view of...

2018 F14 days ago

Departing Ericsson says F1 ‘artificial’

Marcus Ericsson has departed F1 by saying the category is “a bit artificial”. The Swede drove in F1 for Caterham...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media