Connect with us

2015 F1

Canadian GP promoter admits late to pay suppliers

Published

on

Formula 1 Canadian grand prix has fallen behind in payments to suppliers

Formula 1 Canadian grand prix has fallen behind in payments to suppliers

The promoter of the popular Canadian grand prix has fallen behind in payments to suppliers, according to the Quebec newspaper La Presse.

“It’s true. I confirm it,” said Francois Dumontier, the president and sole shareholder of the race promoter Octane Racing Group.

Dumontier secured the future of the Montreal race, held at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, in 2009, but a new 10-year-old contract through 2024 began last year.

“It was difficult this year despite a growth in ticket and corporate sales,” he admits.

La Presse claims that, six months after the 2015 race, Octane still owes a six-digit sum to some key suppliers.

“This is not unusual nor the first time it has happened,” Dumontier insists. “These are people with whom we have done business for a long time.

“99 per cent of them are still there and still wanting to do the grand prix,” he said.

So he said the race’s financial situation is not dire, declaring that he is “much less worried than two or three years ago”.

But in the past, when the race was promoted by Normand Legault, suppliers were always paid, La Presse said.

“These are two different worlds,” Dumontier argued. “I am a ‘mom and pop shop’, an entrepreneur who took a chance with the grand prix in 2009. Unfortunately I have no fortune.

“Like any private contractor, when things are going well, everyone is super happy. When things go less well, an entrepreneur is required to work with his partners and suppliers.”

He also claimed that the current financial environment and the terms of the contract with Bernie Ecclestone’s Formula One Management are not ideally matched.

“Structurally, the contract is clearly not optimal,” said Dumontier. “I am very sure that Mr Ecclestone is a fine negotiator.”

He said things would be much easier if the Canadian grand prix could secure a title sponsor, and had hoped to sign something up by Christmas.

“I am obliged to put my patience to the test,” said Dumontier. “I think it will come to fruition after the course of the Christmas holidays.”

Dumontier also said his door is “wide open” for talks with potential new shareholders in Octane.

“I think when an owner like the one in Austin (for the US GP), with a lot more financial resources than me, may lose his grand prix because it is not profitable, it shows it is a business where you can no longer be a ‘mom and pop shop’ like me,” he declared.

Dumontier is also cheering on the Montreal-born driver Lance Stroll, who despite his tender age of 17 has just signed up as a test driver with Williams.

“The Jacques Villeneuve years were certainly very good years for the grand prix,” he said.

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F111 hours ago

Preview for the Belgium GP

On Sunday 26th August some of the best Forumla 1 racers in the world will take to the Belgium Spa...

2018 F11 day ago

Gasly to replace Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1

French speedy Pierre Gasly will replace the leaving Daniel Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1 season, the Formula 1...

2018 F11 day ago

Villeneuve urges Ferrari to retain Raikkonen

It was recently announced that Kimi Raikkonen will be spending another year at Ferrari, however, alongside Sebastian Vettel. It’s a...

2018 F15 days ago

McLaren confirms Sainz to replace Alonso in 2019 F1

McLaren Racing today confirms that Carlos Sainz will race for the team in Formula 1 from the 2019 FIA Formula...

2018 F11 week ago

Alonso will not race F1 in 2019

Marking 14th August as a day he would make an announcement on twitter, Fernando Alonso announced that he won’t be...

2018 F11 week ago

Ricciardo is not happy with Verstappen, It’s a risk – Massa

Felipe Massa says he can understand why Daniel Ricciardo decided to quit Red Bull. Ricciardo, one of F1’s top drivers,...

2018 F11 week ago

Stroll leads Force India rescue deal

Force India has been rescued by a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll, the billionaire father of Williams driver Lance Stroll....

2018 F12 weeks ago

Giovinazzi targeting 2019 Sauber race seat

Antonio Giovinazzi admits he has an eye on a Sauber seat for 2019. Ferrari’s other protege, Charles Leclerc, is linked...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Stroll should leave Williams now – Villeneuve

Jacques Villeneuve thinks Canadian countryman Lance Stroll should leave Williams immediately. Stroll’s billionaire father Lawrence is leading the consortium that...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Alonso could leave F1 for 2019 Indycar – McLaren boss

Zak Brown has admitted it is possible Fernando Alonso will leave McLaren and F1 for the Indycar series in 2019....




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media