Connect with us

F1 top news

Briatore rejects Alonso to Renault rumours

Published

on

Briatore rejects Alonso to Renault rumours

Briatore rejects Alonso to Renault rumours

Flavio Briatore has dismissed suggestions Fernando Alonso might be considering a sensational return to lead Renault’s latest works effort in F1.

The Enstone based team Lotus has already announced its driver lineup for 2016, with the heavily sponsor-backed Pastor Maldonado and Jolyon Palmer all signed up.

But that team has subsequently been bought by Renault.

Earlier in serious financial trouble, Lotus chief executive Matthew Carter faced a London court on Monday where the team risked being placed into administration over unpaid tax bills.

The Morning Star newspaper said the judge gave Lotus a two-week adjournment, with Renault pledging to complete the buyout by next Wednesday.

The carmaker will then pay off Lotus’ other debts, which could mean the team is no longer so reliant on the backing brought by Maldonado and Palmer.

Not only that, Renault might want different drivers at the wheel.

“We will wait a few weeks,” Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn told Le Figaro newspaper.

“I refer to a meeting in January 2016, when we will explain the organisation, goals, strategy and we will also talk about drivers and partners,” he added.

Speaking outside court on Monday, Carter – whose own Renault-branded future is in doubt – said he thinks the contracts with Maldonado and Palmer will be honoured.

So amid recent reports that Spaniard Alonso’s future at struggling McLaren-Honda is not certain, rumours had then emerged that he may now return to Renault, where he won his back-to-back titles a decade ago.

But Briatore, the former Renault team boss who remains involved with Alonso’s management today, said: “Right now I rule that out.

“We have a contract with Honda,” the Italian is quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Fernando will not be happy with the way the season went but I think only Hamilton and Rosberg are. And looking ahead to next year, I think it will not be easy for Renault,” Briatore added.

Having said that, Briatore played down claims Ghosn – known in the industry for being a hefty cost-slasher – will not put adequate resources into Renault’s new works project.

“When I was there,” he said, “our every request was met.”

Briatore did however express some alarm at Ghosn’s claim that returning to the very top in F1 will take three years, arguing that “This F1 that is dying needs a very strong Renault before then”.

“It is true that everything must be rebuilt, including the technical structure at Enstone,” Briatore added. “It will not be easy.”

The biggest problem, the Italian continued, is Mercedes’ huge advantage with its power unit.

“Renault was the big proponent of this new formula and they underestimated the impact,” said Briatore. “The trouble is that Mercedes has a great advantage and I fear that next year the championship will follow the same pattern as the one just ended.”

Loading...

Comments

Latest F1 News

Latest F1 News

2019 F13 weeks ago

Vettel ‘has no future at Ferrari anymore’ – Red Bull boss

Sebastian Vettel has “no future at Ferrari”, according to his former boss Dr Helmut Marko. Despite having arguably the fastest...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Leclerc girlfriend reveals Ferrari’s F1 star ended relationship with her

Charles Leclerc’s former girlfriend has revealed that the Ferrari driver “left me” in order to focus on his Formula 1...

2019 F13 weeks ago

Hamilton seizing advantage of Vettel DNF to seal Russian GP

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton took the advantages with the Russian Grand Prix victory after race leader Sebastian Vettel’s retirement. During...

2019 F13 weeks ago

McLaren split with Renault for Mercedes in 2021 F1

McLaren split with engine supplier Renault over a disagreement about Formula 1 strategy, according to Cyril Abiteboul. “It was apparent...

2019 F14 weeks ago

The manager says secrecy around Schumacher’s health is “difficult” to understand

News of the Seven time F1 world champion, Michael Schumacher being “out of a coma” went viral on June 2014,...

2019 F14 weeks ago

Mercedes no favourite at remaining races in 2019 – Hamilton

Mercedes will no longer be the favourite at any of the remaining races in 2019, according to Lewis Hamilton. Despite...

2019 F14 weeks ago

Renault F1 criticises FIA over penalty

Cyril Abiteboul has accused the FIA of being inconsistent about how it hands out penalties for sporting and technical infractions....

2019 F14 weeks ago

Ferrari ‘hungrier than Mercedes’ – Hamilton

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton criticised Mercedes after the Singapore GP. The Briton was not even on the podium on Sunday,...

2019 F14 weeks ago

Hamilton warns he could lose 2019 F1 title

Lewis Hamilton has warned Mercedes that he risks not winning the 2019 world championship. The Briton’s championship lead is actually...

2019 F11 month ago

Charles Leclerc is Ferrari’s “No: 1 driver” – JJ Lehto

Charles Leclerc is now Ferrari’s “number 1 driver”. That is the view of JJ Lehto, who was once the supporting...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media