Connect with us

2016 F1

Alonso sure sabbatical rumours to continue

Published

on

McLaren-Honda F1 driver, Fernando Alonso sure sabbatical rumours to continue

McLaren-Honda F1 driver, Fernando Alonso sure sabbatical rumours to continue

Fernando Alonso says he will be on the grid in 2016. McLaren supremo Ron Dennis caused a stir at the Abu Dhabi season finale recently when he hinted Spaniard Alonso, arguably the best and highest paid driver in F1, might not return next year if the Honda-powered car is not up to speed.

Asked, however, if he will be in Melbourne in March, the 34-year-old driver – who spent his weekend with Honda trying out a MotoGP bike – answered: “Yes.

“I talked to Ron on Friday. I told him what had been published. He said ‘I didn’t mean that and tomorrow I will clarify it’. On Saturday he clarified but no one copied that.

“I said the opposite on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and I’m sure in January and February I will keep answering the same questions about my future,” Alonso is quoted by the Guardian.

Alonso, who had spoken glowingly about Le Mans-style racing as the F1 season concluded, has two years of his McLaren-Honda contract still to run, but he would not be drawn on what he might do beyond 2017.

“We have to be open to any possibility,” he insisted. “Right now it is too long ahead to think.

“Let’s see what happens in one and a half years, what the situation is, what targets we have met and what the motivations are to keep going on in formula one.” (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F11 month ago

Lauda announces 2019 grand prix return

Niki Lauda has allayed fears that he might not return to his post at the grands prix with Mercedes. In...

2018 F11 month ago

Sauber still building staff numbers – Vasseur

Sauber is still building up its staff numbers, boss Frederic Vasseur has revealed. The Swiss team almost collapsed two years...

2018 F11 month ago

Red Bull ‘will look to Verstappen’ in 2019 – Horner

Max Verstappen will have a more significant role at Red Bull next year. That is the view of Christian Horner,...

2018 F11 month ago

London could join Silverstone in F1 – Brawn

Ross Brawn says a grand prix in the centre of London would be “unacceptable”. But the F1 sporting chief thinks...

2018 F11 month ago

Kubica not offended by Vettel comments

Robert Kubica says he is not offended by comments made by quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel. Ferrari’s Vettel said that...

2018 F11 month ago

Verstappen happy with Ricciardo replacement

Max Verstappen says he is happy with Red Bull’s pick for his new teammate. The Dutchman says he cannot understand...

2018 F11 month ago

Renault to keep working over Christmas

Staff at Renault’s works F1 team will work throughout the Christmas and New Year period. That is the news from...

2018 F11 month ago

Force India to launch 2019 car in Canada

Force India has become the second F1 team to announce a reveal date for its 2019 car. Ferrari boss Maurizio...

2018 F11 month ago

“it was a difficult experience, but it made me stronger,”- Sirotkin

Sergey Sirotkin says his aim is to return to formula one in 2020. The Russian has been replaced at Williams...

2018 F11 month ago

McLaren success is ‘long term’ aim – Sainz

Carlos Sainz says McLaren is aiming for success only in the medium to long term. The Spaniard says he is...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media