Connect with us

2016 F1

Toro Rosso to be ‘more Italian’ in 2016 F1 – Sainz

Published

on

Carlos Sainz - I hope that we will have a more powerful engine in 2016

Carlos Sainz – I hope that we will have a more powerful engine in 2016

Carlos Sainz says he is looking forward to a better season in 2016.

Although overshadowed by his meteoric teammate Max Verstappen, the Spanish rookie has also shone at Toro Rosso, outqualifying the highly-rated Dutchman 10-9.

“I can say that (Red Bull driver manager) Helmut Marko is happy,” Sainz smiled after Sunday’s Abu Dhabi grand prix.

“I think that in many ways he was surprised how we have gone this season and how we were able to compete with Red Bull Racing. This gives me cause for optimism and I am waiting for good news from him,” he added.

The ‘good news’ is surely to be a new Toro Rosso contract for Sainz, but also confirmation that the Faenza based team is switching from Renault to Ferrari power.

Sainz may have spoken out of turn about the team’s Ferrari plans earlier in Abu Dhabi, but even now he says: “I hope that we will have a more powerful engine in 2016.

“While I cannot mention the name of the supplier, I think we could be considered even more of an Italian team after this,” he quipped.

When asked about Toro Rosso’s engine plans for 2016, Christian Horner said in Abu Dhabi: “I can only speak on behalf of Red Bull Racing. You would have to ask Franz Tost about Toro Rosso.”

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2019 F119 hours ago

Ferrari F1 launch the SF90 for 2019 F1 season

The championship bidder Ferrari unveiled their 2019 F1 car, the SF90. In a launch event at the Ferrari HQ, the...

2019 F123 hours ago

Formula E boss not ruling out F1 merger

Alejandro Agag, the boss of Formula E, is not ruling out a “long term” merger with formula one. Once dismissed...

2019 F124 hours ago

F1 will not scrap Friday practice

F1 is not about to scrap Friday practice. That is the claim of Francois Dumontier, boss of the Canadian grand...

2019 F124 hours ago

Alonso is de-facto reserve driver – Brown

Fernando Alonso might be regarded as a de-facto “reserve driver” at McLaren this year. That is the news from team...

2019 F124 hours ago

Stroll aims to avoid war of words with Williams

Lance Stroll has hit back after his former boss accused him recently of arriving in F1 “too early”. Stroll, now...

2019 F11 day ago

Lack of partner team no problem for Renault – Prost

Alain Prost says Renault is not missing out by not having a ‘junior’ partner team. Red Bull and Toro Rosso...

2019 F11 day ago

New Alfa Romeo has revolutionary front wing

Sauber’s Alfa Romeo-branded new car for 2019 turned heads when it hit the Fiorano circuit for a shakedown on Thursday....

2019 F12 days ago

Kimi Raikkonen debuts 2019 Alfa Romeo Racing F1 car

Alfa Romeo Racing’s 2019 F1 car hits the track for the first time at Italy. These first images from Fiorano...

2019 F12 days ago

McLaren launches its 2019 F1 car MCL34

McLaren has launched its 2019 F1 car, the Renault-powered MCL34, at a launch event in team factory base at Woking....

2019 F12 days ago

He does not fear Daniel Ricciardo – Hulkenberg

Nico Hulkenberg says he does not fear Daniel Ricciardo. The pair’s Renault boss, Cyril Abiteboul, says 31-year-old Hulkenberg is “enormously...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media