Connect with us

2015 F1

China Media Capital set to buyout F1 for $8.5bn

Published

on


China Media Capital set to buyout F1 for $8.5bn

China Media Capital set to buyout F1 for $8.5bn

According to a Sky News report on Friday, China Media Capital (CMC) is leading a group of Chinese firms to back a $8.5bn takeover bid for Formula 1 within the next 90 days.

The bidders are one of China’s most largest investment firms, willing to invest roughly $1.5 billion in the offer being assembled by Stephen Ross, owner of the Miami Dolphins, a professional American football team, reported Xinhua citing Sky News.

The proposed takeover of F1, which remains far from certain to take place, still requires roughly $2 billion in additional equity from other investors.

CVC has not yet decided whether to grant the exclusivity request, insiders said.

Sky News understands that Qatar Sports Investments, which owns the Paris Saint-Germain football team and had been tipped as a partner of Mr Ross, is now on the periphery of the deal and may not participate at all.

Sources said that Mr Ross’s vehicle, RSE Ventures, plans to invest approximately $500m (£323m) to buy a significant shareholding in F1’s parent company.

Sources said that Mr Ross’s vehicle, RSE Ventures, plans to invest approximately $500m (£323m) to buy a significant shareholding in F1’s parent company.

“They believe they can double F1’s profits,” said a source close to the bid.

CVC, F1’s majority shareholder since 2005 are set to respond to the consortium’s proposals very soon, but right now they have declined to comment.

One uncertainty facing the sport is the outcome of a complaint submitted recently by two of the smaller teams – Force India and Sauber – to the European Commission about the way prize money is distributed.

Chinese investors are pursuing rapid global expansion in sports and entertainment business. CMC is among a group of Chinese media investors, which also include Fosun and Wanda, recently unveiled a partnership with the Hollywood studio Warner Bros Entertainment to produce Chinese-language films for distribution around the world.

Following the Qatar and NFL owner £5bn bid in last June, F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone told Media “three or four” bidders had emerged to open talks with Donald Mackenzie, CVC’s chairman.

“I have no idea whether any of these people have got closer with this, but CVC are in the business of buying and selling companies. They are very happy with F1 and Donald is not an enthusiastic seller, but their business is selling everything has a price,” Ecclestone said.

Now the Chinese investors clinch pole position with (£5.5bn) for F1 Future!

Loading...

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F16 hours ago

Hamilton and Vettel Battling For The F1 Title

113SharesThe British Grand Prix at Silverstone is one that Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes have dominated for years and that trend...

2018 F14 days ago

Can Red Bull Challenge Mercedes And Ferrari?

24SharesSo, things didn’t exactly go to plan for Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes at Silverstone as the Brit made a disastrous...

2018 F14 days ago

Liberty working on securing future of British GP – Brawn

5SharesRoss Brawn says Liberty Media is working on securing the future of the British grand prix. Silverstone owner the BRDC...

2018 F14 days ago

Grosjean form ‘unacceptable’ – Haas F1

1ShareGunther Steiner says a “critical moment” could come amid his patience with struggling Haas driver Romain Grosjean. Frenchman Grosjean has...

2018 F14 days ago

No ‘negotiations’ with Raikkonen yet – McLaren

36Shares Zak Brown says McLaren has not yet opened contract talks with former team driver Kimi Raikkonen. It is rumoured in...

2018 F14 days ago

Wolff wants Hamilton beyond 2020

659SharesToto Wolff has revealed he wants to keep Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes even beyond 2020. Although not yet announced, it...

2018 F15 days ago

Renault engine power deficit a bigger problem – Verstappen

5SharesMax Verstappen says Red Bull’s title chances have taken a dive. Although the Dutchman won in Austria, he says at...

2018 F16 days ago

Ricciardo admits 2019 Red Bull contract ‘likely’

1ShareDaniel Ricciardo now says it is “likely” he will stay at Red Bull in 2019. Earlier, the Red Bull driver...

2018 F16 days ago

Alonso no fan of proposed expand points system

44SharesFernando Alonso says he is not sure changing the points system is a good move for F1. Over the British...

2018 F16 days ago

Renault felt like F2 engine – Verstappen

105SharesMax Verstappen says he feels as though he has been relegated to Formula 2. In the Honda era, Fernando Alonso...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media