Connect with us

2015 F1

Red Bull could quit F1 says Adrian Newey

Published

on


Red Bull could quit F1 says Adrian Newey

Red Bull could quit F1 says Adrian Newey

Chief technical officer of the Red Bull Racing, Adrian Newey says that their top rivals [Ferrari or Mercedes] being fearful to supply them with V6 power unit for 2016 F1 season and warned there was a real risk of the Milton Keynes-based squad walking away from F1.

The reigning champions Mercedes have ruled out a deal while Ferrari have indicated they would struggle to supply Red Bull with the same engines as their works team.

“We’re possibly going to be forced out of Formula One — Mercedes and Ferrari have refused to supply us out of fear,” Newey, F1 design guru, told Reuters in Abu Dhabi on Monday.

Newey’s designs have won numerous titles and over 80 Grands Prix. With ten Constructors’ Championships he has won more than any other designer and is the only designer to have won constructor’s titles with three different Formula One teams.

The Brit moved to Red Bull Racing in 2007, his cars winning the Formula One drivers’ and constructors’ championships consecutively from 2010 to 2013

Renault have struggled to be competitive in the new V6 turbo hybrid era that came in last year, however, while Mercedes have been dominant and clinched a second straight constructors’ crown in Russia on Sunday. Four-time world champions are currently fourth.

“Unfortunately, our relationship with Renault is pretty terminal — there’s been too much of a marriage breakdown, so we have no engine,” said Newey, who was in Abu Dhabi as head judge for the Nissan PlayStation GT Academy.

“Improvement is needed, but there has been no clear direction on how to achieve that,” he said, adding Renault had rebuffed Red Bull’s attempts to help improve the engine and also bring in outside expert help.

“Red Bull should not be put in a position where they’re only there to make up the numbers.”

While sister team Toro Rosso are confident they can do a deal with Ferrari to run 2015 engines next year, if the regulations allow them to, Red Bull appear to be far from any agreement despite the sport’s commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone’s assurances that the supply was ‘sorted’.

Loading...

Advertisement
ThisisF1.com does not accept abusive behavior or harassing language in comments.
Please respect other users.
Click to comment

2018 F1 Launch







Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment. All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media