Connect with us

Christian Horner

Horner reveals Red Bull engine deal ‘not Wolff’s decision’

Published

on


Horner reveals Red Bull engine deal 'not Wolff's decision'

Horner reveals Red Bull engine deal ‘not Wolff’s decision’

Christian Horner has revealed that talks with two manufacturers are taking place as Red Bull continues to work on its engine supplier crisis.

Amid the Renault divorce, the energy drink company says it will have to quit formula one if it cannot secure a competitive alternative engine for 2016.

Mercedes, however, has ruled out working with Red Bull, Ferrari is believed to be offering only a ‘B’ engine, and Honda has played down reports linking it strongly with Red Bull’s secondary team, Toro Rosso.

Nonetheless, Red Bull Racing team boss Horner told the Austrian broadcaster Servus TV: “There are talks with two manufacturers.”

Fascinatingly, although Mercedes’ motor racing chief has categorically ruled out a deal for Red Bull, Briton Horner hinted that the German carmaker could still be an option.

“The decision does not lie with Toto Wolff,” he said. “It is at a higher level.

“There are many conversations going on behind the scenes, and obviously the promoter of formula one, Bernie Ecclestone, is worried about what’s going to happen with us.”

Horner admitted the situation is now urgent.

“This is an important topic that hopefully we can get resolved in the next few weeks. It’s critical. It’s getting late — very late,” he said.

“We are now at the beginning of October, and the designers at Milton Keynes want to know what to do with the RB12. When do we want to have the solution? Two weeks ago!

“Adrian Newey said to me ‘Christian, we need an answer. I know what to do with the front and the rear of the car, but we also need to know what to do with the middle’.

“Because it’s not just about the engine,” Horner explained, “it’s about the cooling, which affects the shape of the sidepods. It’s also about the transmission, which affects the shape of the rear end.

“Ultimately, the decision about what will happen is with Dietrich Mateschitz. My job – as soon as we know what engine we’ve got – is to put it all into effect immediately.

“But right now, as I sit here, we do not have a solution,” he admitted.

“Yes, that is some sort of advantage for the other teams, but the quality of our work at Red Bull Racing is so high that we can cope with the delay. Everyone is highly motivated and we want to win again.

“But we do not want to continue as we have in the last year and a half,” Horner insisted.

If an acceptable solution is not found, however, and Mateschitz does pull the plug, Red Bull will be left with hundreds of employees with no work to do.

Horner insisted: “If we are not going to the grands prix any more, then we will look at other activities. We have many extremely talented people working at Milton Keynes, and we would have to look at how best to use that talent.

“For sure the staff are concerned,” he admitted, “but I tell them ‘Concentrate on your work and don’t worry about what you can’t influence’.” (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F111 hours ago

Preview for the Belgium GP

On Sunday 26th August some of the best Forumla 1 racers in the world will take to the Belgium Spa...

2018 F11 day ago

Gasly to replace Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1

French speedy Pierre Gasly will replace the leaving Daniel Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1 season, the Formula 1...

2018 F11 day ago

Villeneuve urges Ferrari to retain Raikkonen

It was recently announced that Kimi Raikkonen will be spending another year at Ferrari, however, alongside Sebastian Vettel. It’s a...

2018 F15 days ago

McLaren confirms Sainz to replace Alonso in 2019 F1

McLaren Racing today confirms that Carlos Sainz will race for the team in Formula 1 from the 2019 FIA Formula...

2018 F11 week ago

Alonso will not race F1 in 2019

Marking 14th August as a day he would make an announcement on twitter, Fernando Alonso announced that he won’t be...

2018 F11 week ago

Ricciardo is not happy with Verstappen, It’s a risk – Massa

Felipe Massa says he can understand why Daniel Ricciardo decided to quit Red Bull. Ricciardo, one of F1’s top drivers,...

2018 F11 week ago

Stroll leads Force India rescue deal

Force India has been rescued by a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll, the billionaire father of Williams driver Lance Stroll....

2018 F12 weeks ago

Giovinazzi targeting 2019 Sauber race seat

Antonio Giovinazzi admits he has an eye on a Sauber seat for 2019. Ferrari’s other protege, Charles Leclerc, is linked...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Stroll should leave Williams now – Villeneuve

Jacques Villeneuve thinks Canadian countryman Lance Stroll should leave Williams immediately. Stroll’s billionaire father Lawrence is leading the consortium that...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Alonso could leave F1 for 2019 Indycar – McLaren boss

Zak Brown has admitted it is possible Fernando Alonso will leave McLaren and F1 for the Indycar series in 2019....




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media