Connect with us

2016 F1

F1’s three-car future known ‘next month’ – Ecclestone

Published

on


F1's three-car future known 'next month' - Ecclestone

F1’s three-car future known ‘next month’ – Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone insists he is not worried F1 could be left with a diminished grid for the start of the 2016 season next March.

Currently, following the collapse of Caterham last year, 10 teams make up a 20-car grid.

But amid its talks with Renault, Enstone based Lotus is struggling financially, while Red Bull is threatening to pull both of its teams out if competitive engine deals cannot be reached.

Sauber and Force India – who have taken their gripe to the European Commission – have also had obvious financial troubles recently, increasing the risk that the grid could be seriously diminished in the not-too-distant future.

F1 supremo Ecclestone, however, says he is not worried.

“Some teams want to have three cars (each),” he told the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, “and a lot of people would rather see a third Ferrari than a car that is not competitive.

“Next month we will see if we are going in that direction,” Ecclestone added.

By then, Red Bull’s engine crisis is likely to have come to a head, and whether or not Renault will complete the Lotus takeover should be known.

Regarding the Red Bull situation, however, Ecclestone admitted he is not sure what will happen.

“It is a complex situation with many conflicting interests,” he said. “Why would their competitors help them out and risk that they could be beaten with their own weapons?” (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F12 days ago

Ferrari to reveal 2019 car on February 15

Ferrari will reveal its 2019 challenger on February 15, team boss Maurizio Arrivabene said on Thursday. The Italian attended an...

2018 F13 days ago

F1 teams worried about Brexit crisis

F1 teams admit they are worried about the Brexit crisis that is occurring in Britain. After British people voted in...

2018 F13 days ago

‘I have mixed feelings’ about Kubica return – Vettel

Sebastian Vettel says he has “mixed feelings” about Robert Kubica’s return to formula one. Former grand prix winner Kubica, now...

2018 F13 days ago

Monza seeking EUR 100m for upgrade

Monza is looking for EUR 100 million to upgrade the Italian grand prix venue and secure a new grand prix...

2018 F14 days ago

Sirotkin to test DTM, Hartley to Porsche

Sergey Sirotkin could keep his motor racing career alive in the German touring car series DTM. SMP Racing, his Russian...

2018 F14 days ago

McLaren not ‘copying’ Red Bull car – Sainz

Carlos Sainz has played down claims McLaren is ‘copying’ Red Bull’s chassis concept for 2019. With Red Bull moving to...

2018 F14 days ago

Barcelona hopes for new F1 contract

Organisers of the Spanish grand prix are still not sure they will reach a new agreement with Liberty Media. Vicenc...

2018 F15 days ago

Berger sees F1 chance for nephew Auer

is hoping his nephew may have a future in formula one. One the one hand, the F1 legend said he...

2018 F15 days ago

Hamilton teammate Bottas ‘is not there’ – Verstappen

Max Verstappen has admitted he will try to emulate Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes’ approach to winning the world championship. The...

2018 F15 days ago

Mexico GP future in doubt

A cloud has moved above the future of the highly popular Mexican grand prix. The rejuvenated race at the iconic...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media