Connect with us

2016 F1

Force India retain Hulkenberg for 2016 F1

Published

on

Force India retain Hulkenberg for 2016 F1

Force India retain Hulkenberg for 2016 F1


Nico Hulkenberg is staying with Force India in 2016, the German newspaper Bild reports.

The German, who earlier this year won the fabled Le Mans 24 hour on his first attempt, was a candidate to move to Ferrari next year until Kimi Raikkonen was re-signed.

Hulkenberg had also been strongly linked not only with the new American entrant Haas, but also with Lotus, particularly if Renault completes its takeover of the Enstone team.

It is being reported in England and France that Renault’s takeover of the Enstone team Lotus in collaboration with Alain Prost is indeed now “done”, with the F1 insider Leo Turrini saying an announcement is due this week at Monza.

But Bild says Force India will announce on Monday that Hulkenberg is staying put at Silverstone.

And it appears that the 28-year-old will also reprise his Le Mans effort next year, having attended the Nurburgring round of the series at the weekend in Porsche team gear.

Meanwhile, the Finnish newspaper Ilta-Sanomat claims that Haas is now “very close” to agreeing a deal for 2016 with Esteban Gutierrez, the Ferrari reserve driver.

The report said Gutierrez would bring at least EUR 15 million in Mexican sponsorship backing.

A candidate for the other seat may then be American Marco Andretti, the son of former McLaren racer Michael, even though Haas has said it is looking for more experienced drivers.

“I don’t even know if I’m eligible for a (super) licence based on the (new) points system,” the Indycar driver admitted to the Indianapolis Star newspaper.

Elsewhere in F1, Mark Webber has urged Jenson Button to consider following him to Le Mans once his long grand prix career ends, perhaps at the end of this season.

“JB certainly can look at it,” the Australian, who now races for Porsche, told NBC.

“He’s certainly imminent for a decision. Obviously he will make one soon. He will do what he is happy with.”

It is believed Button’s exit from McLaren would re-open the door for Kevin Magnussen, with fellow junior Stoffel Vandoorne then stepping into the reserve driver role. (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F115 hours ago

Verstappen says Red Bull never considered deal with Alonso

Max Verstappen says Red Bull never considered signing up Fernando Alonso for 2019. That is despite the fact that, recently,...

2018 F117 hours ago

Honda poised to overtake Renault for power

Honda could be poised to overtake Renault and cease having the least powerful engine in F1. Auto Motor und Sport...

2018 F13 days ago

Pascal Wehrlein on pole for 2019 Toro Rosso race seat

Pascal Wehrlein has emerged as a top candidate to return to F1 next year. Just days ago, Mercedes admitted that...

2018 F13 days ago

I’ll be with Force India until the end of 2018 – Ocon

Esteban Ocon says he should keep his Force India cockpit for the rest of the 2018 season. Earlier, there was...

2018 F13 days ago

FIA clears legality of Ferrari’s camera-blocking ‘fan’

F1’s governing body has cleared Ferrari to keep using a controversial airbox fan. In the Singapore pits, the Italian team...

2018 F14 days ago

Ricciardo is worth top dollar – Alain Prost

Paying the big bucks for Daniel Ricciardo is an expense that Renault can fully justify. That is the view of...

2018 F14 days ago

Vettel feeling pressure of 2018 F1 title battle – Red Bull

Sebastian Vettel often struggles with pressure. That is the view of Adrian Newey, Red Bull’s famous technical boss who penned...

2018 F14 days ago

Red Bull excluding Ricciardo from meetings

Daniel Ricciardo is set to be given the cold shoulder by Red Bull. The Australian is moving from the energy...

2018 F14 days ago

Recovering Lauda ‘a lot better’ now – brother

Niki Lauda’s brother says the F1 legend is “a lot better” as he recovers from a lung transplant. The F1...

2018 F14 days ago

Verstappen reveals ‘close to retire’ because of false neutrals

  Following the impressive second place finish at Singapore Grand Prix, Max Verstappen reveals that he came close to having...




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media