Connect with us

British GP

McLaren’s Arai, Boullier asked if it’s time to go

Published

on

McLaren's Arai, Boullier asked if it's time to go
As McLaren-Honda’s 2015 season goes from worse to woeful, questions about the men in charge are now being asked.

Although the new Anglo-Japanese ‘marriage’ has been all smiles amid the turmoil so far, McLaren is now heaping the pressure on its struggling partner.

“For Honda, if it’s a five year project, and if they win in year three or four, it’s a successful project,” said team boss Eric Boullier.

“For McLaren, we cannot afford to wait three or four years.”

For the Woking team, the rot is now setting in. In the last few races, progress has appeared backwards rather than forwards, which will cost McLaren millions if it stays just ninth in the constructors’ championship.

Not only that, the MP4-30 is still multiple seconds off the pace.

“Clearly,” Jenson Button told Spain’s El Pais newspaper, “if you’re two seconds off when the season finishes, we will not win in 2016 either.”

So maybe a change at the top at Honda is the answer?

Asked if should keep his job, F1 chief Yasuhisa Arai said at Silverstone: “What can I say? I personally want to keep leading our programme, and I can assure you that for Honda this is a long-term project.”

McLaren’s Boullier, however, acknowledged that “damage” is being done.

“As for damage,” he answered to a question on Saturday, “everything is clear. The brand is created by success, and our ability to achieve success consistently.

“In commercial terms the situation is very painful, as there are many people and companies in cooperation with us, and many are asking questions about the reason for the lack of results.

“I do not think we can keep waiting a long time” to give them answers, Boullier added.

And a long-term stint at the back of the grid traditionally causes teams to cut costs, including by shedding staff.

Asked if he is already thinking about that, Boullier insisted: “No, because we believe we will succeed before we even have to think about it.”

But to facilitate that, perhaps it is also Frenchman Boullier’s job that should be on the line too?

Asked if he has thought about it, he told Spain’s AS newspaper: “Why?

“Look, I started a year ago with the intention of directing this project and that’s what I’m doing. For now it is what it is and we have to improve,” Boullier insisted.

“I think it’s too early to think about that. Give me time and then we’ll see.”

And Fernando Alonso, the highly paid star driver, has acknowledged that the pain is set to continue for some time in 2015.

“We cannot get frustrated every weekend,” he was quoted on Saturday in Spanish media reports, in the midst of another dire race weekend.

“We now have ten more (race) weekends of testing, so whoever is bored, turn off the TV until next year, or at least until Japan or later because it is going to get worse than this,” Alonso warned at Silverstone. (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F112 hours ago

Preview for the Belgium GP

On Sunday 26th August some of the best Forumla 1 racers in the world will take to the Belgium Spa...

2018 F11 day ago

Gasly to replace Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1

French speedy Pierre Gasly will replace the leaving Daniel Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1 season, the Formula 1...

2018 F11 day ago

Villeneuve urges Ferrari to retain Raikkonen

It was recently announced that Kimi Raikkonen will be spending another year at Ferrari, however, alongside Sebastian Vettel. It’s a...

2018 F15 days ago

McLaren confirms Sainz to replace Alonso in 2019 F1

McLaren Racing today confirms that Carlos Sainz will race for the team in Formula 1 from the 2019 FIA Formula...

2018 F11 week ago

Alonso will not race F1 in 2019

Marking 14th August as a day he would make an announcement on twitter, Fernando Alonso announced that he won’t be...

2018 F11 week ago

Ricciardo is not happy with Verstappen, It’s a risk – Massa

Felipe Massa says he can understand why Daniel Ricciardo decided to quit Red Bull. Ricciardo, one of F1’s top drivers,...

2018 F11 week ago

Stroll leads Force India rescue deal

Force India has been rescued by a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll, the billionaire father of Williams driver Lance Stroll....

2018 F12 weeks ago

Giovinazzi targeting 2019 Sauber race seat

Antonio Giovinazzi admits he has an eye on a Sauber seat for 2019. Ferrari’s other protege, Charles Leclerc, is linked...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Stroll should leave Williams now – Villeneuve

Jacques Villeneuve thinks Canadian countryman Lance Stroll should leave Williams immediately. Stroll’s billionaire father Lawrence is leading the consortium that...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Alonso could leave F1 for 2019 Indycar – McLaren boss

Zak Brown has admitted it is possible Fernando Alonso will leave McLaren and F1 for the Indycar series in 2019....




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media