Connect with us

2015 F1

Renault can catch up without rule change

Published

on

Renault can catch up without rule change
Renault insists it will not argue for a change of rules to help it catch up with F1’s pacesetters.

After Mercedes utterly dominated last year as the new turbo V6 era began, Ferrari has demonstrated already in 2015 that it has caught up.

“I hope we have a race with those guys (Ferrari),” championship leader Lewis Hamilton, beaten two weeks ago by Sebastian Vettel in Malaysia, said ahead of the Chinese grand prix.

“They are just as quick as us on the straights and they had amazing pace in the last race,” he told Sky.

Conspicuously lagging behind, however, is Renault, as works partner Red Bull suggests the French manufacturer even made a “retrograde” step compared to 2014.

Red Bull has arguing stridently for a change of rules, or ‘equalisation’ measures, fearing the status quo could see it and Renault permanently stranded.

But Renault’s F1 chief Cyril Abiteboul insists it can catch up, “And for that we need no change in the regulations,” he argued, according to Speed Week.

“I would never ask for a change in the regulations to catch up with a competitor,” he insisted.

“I see no reason why we cannot come up to the level of Mercedes. It’s just a matter of time,” said the Frenchman.

Indeed, after an admittedly bad start in Melbourne, Renault says it upped its game for Malaysia and is set to improve yet further this weekend in China.

“Performance was improved in Malaysia, although we did keep some in reserve to safeguard reliability,” said operations chief Remi Taffin.

“Now we are getting more confident in this area we can afford to be more aggressive and we should see better results on the straights, with a higher top speed,” he added.

Abiteboul continued: “In Malaysia, we improved in terms of driveability but it was not possible to solve all the problems between Melbourne and Sepang.

“I would say we have solved 60 per cent of the problems, but that has already made a huge difference.”

Red Bull boss Christian Horner said in Malaysia that the thought of Shanghai’s extremely long straights was “depressing”, given Renault’s problems.

But Abiteboul said: “I do not think we will be miles behind Mercedes. We can see that from our simulations. We know what to do.” (GMM)

Comments

Latest Results




Latest F1 News

2018 F17 hours ago

Preview for the Belgium GP

On Sunday 26th August some of the best Forumla 1 racers in the world will take to the Belgium Spa...

2018 F11 day ago

Gasly to replace Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1

French speedy Pierre Gasly will replace the leaving Daniel Ricciardo at Red Bull for 2019 F1 season, the Formula 1...

2018 F11 day ago

Villeneuve urges Ferrari to retain Raikkonen

It was recently announced that Kimi Raikkonen will be spending another year at Ferrari, however, alongside Sebastian Vettel. It’s a...

2018 F15 days ago

McLaren confirms Sainz to replace Alonso in 2019 F1

McLaren Racing today confirms that Carlos Sainz will race for the team in Formula 1 from the 2019 FIA Formula...

2018 F11 week ago

Alonso will not race F1 in 2019

Marking 14th August as a day he would make an announcement on twitter, Fernando Alonso announced that he won’t be...

2018 F11 week ago

Ricciardo is not happy with Verstappen, It’s a risk – Massa

Felipe Massa says he can understand why Daniel Ricciardo decided to quit Red Bull. Ricciardo, one of F1’s top drivers,...

2018 F11 week ago

Stroll leads Force India rescue deal

Force India has been rescued by a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll, the billionaire father of Williams driver Lance Stroll....

2018 F12 weeks ago

Giovinazzi targeting 2019 Sauber race seat

Antonio Giovinazzi admits he has an eye on a Sauber seat for 2019. Ferrari’s other protege, Charles Leclerc, is linked...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Stroll should leave Williams now – Villeneuve

Jacques Villeneuve thinks Canadian countryman Lance Stroll should leave Williams immediately. Stroll’s billionaire father Lawrence is leading the consortium that...

2018 F12 weeks ago

Alonso could leave F1 for 2019 Indycar – McLaren boss

Zak Brown has admitted it is possible Fernando Alonso will leave McLaren and F1 for the Indycar series in 2019....




Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media