Connect with us

2015 F1

Briatore wants McLaren, FIA to explain Alonso ‘very strange’ crash

Published

on

Bildschirmfoto-2015-02-24-um-10.10.17-1000x600
Fernando Alonso’s mentor Flavio Briatore has revealed the Spanish driver’s mysterious testing crash was “very strange”.

McLaren-Honda’s star driver has been notably quiet since his hospitalisation and ongoing recovery, while rampant speculation about the Barcelona crash saga rages.

“It does not add up,” former F1 driver David Coulthard told the Guardian.

“You can take at face value the information we’re being given. But are we being given diluted information?

“It’s possible but it’s a risky strategy because these things eventually come out,” said the former long-time McLaren driver.

Briatore, who continues to oversee Alonso’s management, told Italy’s Sky Sport 24 on Monday that he has spoken with the 33-year-old since the crash.

And he says he has also seen a video of the incident.

“Bernie Ecclestone sent it to me,” said the Italian, “and the blow is not strong, it’s not dramatic. The accident itself was a very strange thing.

“We have not had any information from McLaren, Ron Dennis has not clarified it and hopefully he will,” Briatore added, admitting that the British team’s communication has been “not brilliant” throughout.

But he hit back at widespread reports about the extent of Alonso’s memory loss, insisting the amnesia only lasted “a day or two or three”.

Briatore also played down rumours of an electric shock, adding that a “steering problem” is more likely, although he did admit that the precise cause of the accident is in fact still unknown.

“There is an ongoing investigation of the FIA so we will see what happens, but if there was something electric then we believe and hope that it should be known so that it does not happen again,” he said.

“We know that when KERS was first put on the cars in formula one there was a mechanic who was shocked. But in the cars there is a switch, and Fernando’s switch was closed. So let’s see.”

Briatore said the media coverage of the saga has been often “sensationalist”, although medical tests on Alonso have been exhaustive.

“He had every possible test and everything was negative,” said the former Renault chief. “They wanted to check if Fernando himself had a problem; a heart problem, a small stroke, a blood clot, because this can happen even to a great sportsman.

“If there had been something the doctors would have seen it after days of discussion with the best European specialists,” he said.

“The doctors logically advised him not to participate in the first grand prix in Melbourne as a matter of precaution.

“Fernando is currently in Dubai and he’s doing well,” Briatore added. (GMM)

Loading...

Comments

Latest Results

Latest F1 News

2019 F11 day ago

2019 British GP Race Results

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton wins a record sixth British Grand with an incredible home victory. Pole sitter Valtteri Bottas finished...

2019 F14 days ago

2020 race seat for Ocon 100 Percent sure

Esteban Ocon’s chances of returning to the Formula 1 grid next year stand at “100 per cent”. That is the...

2019 F15 days ago

Berger not sure Hamilton best ever driver

Gerhard Berger is not so sure that Lewis Hamilton is the best F1 driver of all time. This year, Lewis...

2019 F15 days ago

Ricciardo not ready to sign new Renault deal

Daniel Ricciardo says he is not ready to sign a contract extension at Renault. In the past days, the Australian...

2019 F15 days ago

Haas title sponsor terminates F1 deal

Haas’ controversial title sponsor has pulled the plug. In a single bizarre tweet, Rich Energy announced that the deal has...

2019 F15 days ago

Silverstone still concerned about London GP

Even with a new five-year contract signed with Silverstone, Liberty is not ruling out a Formula 1 race in London....

2019 F16 days ago

Verstappen is the best driver in F1 – Horner

Max Verstappen has stepped confidently into the driver leadership position at Red Bull, following the departure of Daniel Ricciardo. That...

2019 F16 days ago

Gasly can do much more for Red Bull – Horner

Amid intensifying speculation about Pierre Gasly’s future, the Frenchman’s bosses insist they are still supporting him. Rumours Gasly could be...

2019 F16 days ago

Ferrari still trusts Vettel – Binotto

Mattia Binotto has called for more “patience” as he admits Ferrari’s 2019 car is not yet a match for Mercedes’....

2019 F16 days ago

F1 stars say Silverstone must stay

A trio of F1 stars say Silverstone must stay on the F1 calendar. Amid uncertainty about the historic race’s future,...

Most Popular

ThisisF1.com is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV, Formula One World Championship Ltd or any other organization or entity associated with the official Formula One governing organizations or their shareholders. Copyrighted material used under Fair Use/Fair Comment.

References
We could use the following leading F1 news sources for stories: SkyF1, BBC F1, Autosport, ESPN F1, FIA Media Center, MotorSport, JamesAllen and others leading authors blog.

All Rights Reserved © 2017 Prime Sport Media